Installing fireplace/stove in old blocked off fireplace?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. My mum has a terraced house, approximately 80 years old. When we moved in 20 years ago, the fireplaces downstairs contained sideboards and lights at the top and upstairs were plastered over with vents. When the house was renovated, the vents were removed upstairs and downstairs was plastered over and vents inserted.

Mum asked the builder whether a fireplace could be installed and, according to mum's memory (unreliable) he said no because the chimney was damaged or because it had been closed off. There are vents in the downstairs rooms, presumably connected to the outside via chimneys. Surely it must be possible to put a flue along the inside of the chimney and a gas or multifuel fire at the bottom?

How much do you reckon this could cost? Mum's managed to save £1500 so far. Unfortunately, this is a project that I wouldn't be comfortable with attempting, but maybe there's something I can do to make the project cheaper.

Sponsored Links
There's nothing to prevent your project per se, but the flue will definitely need a liner, and its access for that which is the prime issue.
Its definitely a job for the pro's, this one, who will do any installation to building regs, including ventilation, spill tests and the rest.
Presumably there's also a gas pipe to be laid.
Personally this isn't a job for cutting corners.
John :)

Okay, thanks a lot John.

Mum wants a gas-fired stove but we wonder whether it would be possible to find one that can also burn wood? Do such combined stoves exist or is it a choice between either gas or wood?

Sponsored Links
So far as I'm aware, there isn't a stove that will burn gas and also wood - at least for domestic applications - but I really don't know.
At this point, maybe someone else will come in!
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back