How to choose a gas safe registered engineer?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Via the gassaferegister.co.uk website, I can get a list of registered engineers. (Incidentally, most of them I'd cross the street to avoid; what's with the severe frowns?). Is it safe to just choose at random or whomever looks least demonic in their ID photograph? I'm not going to use ratedpeople.com because of what I've read on this forum, but I do think that this is a useful checklist. How can I check with previous customers and know they're not shills?

Mum wants to have a gas fireplace installed but we'll need them to do a survey first, to check that the room and chimney are suitable. The fireplace was converted to an alcove with built-in sideboard before we moved in and boarded up completely a few years ago. Will they need to break that down to assess the chimney or can they just remove the 24 cm x 24 cm vent?

How much is reasonable to pay for this survey? Surely they'll need to do the survey to come up with a quote?

Sorry for needing my hand to be held but mum was badly ripped off earlier by a certifiable mental case and I want to make sure this is air-tight.

Sponsored Links
Always go for recommendations from friends and family, someone you know will know someone, or ask a local business who they use because more than likely they use the same people all the time

Alternatives to ratedpeople are trustatrader and Which Local. I've used Which Local for a Gas Safe plumber before and been happy with the work and the plumber himself.

Which Local is a paid for service and the number of traders are relatively limited. I don't know what people on the forum think of trustatrader though, they seem to be a private version of trading standard's Buy With Confidence scheme.

Hi I am gas safe registered myself,If you can not find someone via recommendation I suggest safe traders via trading standards,we are registered through them, this allows customers to leave feedback about ourselves without our interference giving a true representation of how they feel about you your work etc,if you don't do a good job you are removed from the site.By the way we don't charge for Quotes other than for repairs where diagnosis is required.
Good luck Dave.

Sponsored Links
Alternatives to ratedpeople are trustatrader and Which Local. I've used Which Local for a Gas Safe plumber before and been happy with the work and the plumber himself.

Which Local is a paid for service and the number of traders are relatively limited. I don't know what people on the forum think of trustatrader though, they seem to be a private version of trading standard's Buy With Confidence scheme.

I'm always dubious about sites that require a payment from you to be on there after all they aren't going to refuse someones cash!.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back