Installing floorbox, power and networking

Sponsored Links
Coljack wrote

weekend starts early in your part of the world then?

Managed to get a bit of a head start with it this afternoon, i'll take the camera with me tomorrow and get a photo of the lovely cable routing methods employed by the previous installers!

"Have had to drill holes in steel ", WHOA There, i hope this steel is not a structural member??? That may have been why the cable was run over the top of it. How thick was this steel you have drilled ?? doesnt sound good to me

sparkydude wrote

"Have had to drill holes in steel ", WHOA There, i hope this steel is not a structural member??? That may have been why the cable was run over the top of it. How thick was this steel you have drilled ?? doesnt sound good to me

The steel is a 'H' section guirder and it DOES form part of the structure yes. Its 8mm thick carbon steel and about 12 inch deep. The 2 holes i have made in it with a 25mm hole-saw will have made very little difference at all, especially when considering all the surounding supporting steel structure. Only like putting a hole in a joist really.

The cables have been looped over the guirder because the previous installer couldnt be bothered to drill holes (it did require a bit of effort!). They were left dangerously exposed to any screws, nails, saws, ect.............as was proved by us cutting through them!

Sponsored Links
Drilling holes in structural steels is not to be advised unless you have the positions confirmed by a structural engineer. It may be like drilling a hole in a wooden joist but the consequences can be a lot more serious if a steel beam fails .I hope your public liability insurance is upto date.

I'll try and get them on tomorrow Coljack

Sparkydude, whilst i agree in principal with what you are saying, calling a structural engineer out for this particular circumstance i would say is way over the top! Do we call out an engineer when we want to drill joists?

I dont know what the load rating would be of such a steel beam but its likelly to be many many times what its actually supporting.

No we do not call out a structural engineer every time we drill a joist as we should know the rule of thumb when drilling joists ie within the first and third portions of the joist and as near dead central as possible of the total depth , steels have a totally different set of rules and if you choose to ignore them at your own risk. I admit that it is 'Probably' OK ,but i would not risk it in someone elses property.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back