info on socket installation.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have to intall a spur from a ring main i will be coming from a surface mounted double socket along an inside wall approx 6 metres using 20mm plastic pvc conduit.

1. what distance do the sadles need to be apart?

2. the excisting wiring is in the old colours RED, BLACK AND YELLOW/GREEN, could i use the same colours to install spur, or do i need to use new colours?

3. testing, i believe a minor works paper needs to be filled, what tests would i need to do?

4. the excisting wiring is in 4mm could i come off with 2.5mm or do i need to use 4mm (socket only being used for office equipment)

Sponsored Links
I have to intall a spur from a ring main i will be coming from a surface mounted double socket along an inside wall approx 6 metres using 20mm plastic pvc conduit.

1. what distance do the sadles need to be apart? as specified in the On Site Guide
2. the excisting wiring is in the old colours RED, BLACK AND YELLOW/GREEN, could i use the same colours to install spur, or do i need to use new colours? New wiring must be in new colours.

3. testing, i believe a minor works paper needs to be filled, what tests would i need to do?
You have to fill in a Minor Works Form. If you look at the form then you will see what tests you have to do

4. the excisting wiring is in 4mm could i come off with 2.5mm or do i need to use 4mm (socket only being used for office equipment)

If its in 4mm you must continue in 4mm

Are you sure it's a ring circuit? It's a bit unusual to find them wired in 4mm.

What size and type is the over current protection?

4mm rings are very common in offices etc, but could easily be a radial.

Saddle spacing is in the OSG - but is the MINIMUM acceptable, and if you went by this, it would look awful. Generally what looks right is right with saddles. The environement also makes a difference.

Sponsored Links
I hope that you know that you have to be registerd with a competant person schem to sign a certificate.
You need a 16th edition set of meters (or a multi-meter) to do the tests.
you woill need:
Continuity test (there are several tests and they are different for Ring and Radial.
Insulation resistance tests (3)
Zs, Earth fault loop impedance
Polarity

Albert said:
I hope that you know that you have to be registerd with a competant person schem to sign a certificate.

No - you have to be competant to sign a certificate.... ;)

Electricians are required to be able to read or write, but not necessarily both.

ricicle said:
Albert said:

No - you have to be competent to sign a certificate.... ;)
May be theoretically, but practically you do. I would like to live to the day that I will see just one electrician that will say that he is not competent...

Albert said:
ricicle said:
Albert said:

No - you have to be competent to sign a certificate.... ;)
May be theoretically, but practically you do. I would like to live to the day that I will see just one electrician that will say that he is not competent...

A competant DIYer could inspect, test and certify his own work and submit it to the LABC without being a member of said schemes.

I assume that you are not registered with a competent person schem...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back