Spur - socket and Fused Spur from Ring?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was thinking of 4.00mm, however will face issued with 2x 2.5mm and 1x 4mm cables in the back of a socket.

Any ideas?

Could go with 2.5mm I guess, but its not best practice. The socket may have a dryer plugged into it. Un-Sw Spur will be used to reduce to 5A for an outside light, the socket is in a porch.

FTB.

Sponsored Links
I was thinking of 4.00mm,
OK. Some will disagree but I don't.

however will face issued with 2x 2.5mm and 1x 4mm cables in the back of a socket.
No, you won't.

Any ideas?
Sometimes.

Could go with 2.5mm I guess, but its not best practice.
Never quite sure what 'best practice' is.
It would not (technically) comply without another FCU but better than a double socket.

The socket may have a dryer plugged into it. Un-Sw Spur will be used to reduce to 5A for an outside light, the socket is in a porch.
OK.

Thanks for the reply.

Do you know of any large terminal sockets? Id rather go with a deep back box, and some nice termials that trying to squeeze into something tight and shallow..

Just the reputable brands.

Rather than there being large-terminal ones (all should take 3 x 4mm²), I would think cheap rubbish may be undersized.

Sponsored Links
Probably, it depends how big your feet are.
Have you never used 25mm. back boxes? Why do they make them?

Are you saying you buy shoes that are bigger than you require "just in case" - what?

Crabtree - good enough?

upload_2015-10-21_14-48-55.png

I was thinking of 4.00mm, however will face issued with 2x 2.5mm and 1x 4mm cables in the back of a socket.

Any ideas?

Could go with 2.5mm I guess, but its not best practice. The socket may have a dryer plugged into it. Un-Sw Spur will be used to reduce to 5A for an outside light, the socket is in a porch.

FTB.

It is normal practice to wire spurs from the ring in 2.5mm cable. But you cannot have a socket and a fused connection unit on one spur.

It is normal practice to wire spurs from the ring in 2.5mm cable. But you cannot have a socket and a fused connection unit on one spur.
Not in terms of the 'informative guidance' of Appendix 15 of the regs - but in terms of electricity and common sense, a single socket and an FCU (with a 5A fuse, as proposed by the OP) would not even be ' as bad' as a double socket (as 'allowed' by that guidance).

Kind Regards, John

Thanks all,

I could always fit a double socket, and use a plug top instead of a unfused spur. :)

As time goes on, we are removing the bodges. It currently has a 2.5mm from inside the house, into a wooden porch. The porch has a double socket, which feeds the garage (via SWA) and a light switch (via SWA). Garage SWA appears to be 1.5mm 2 core.

In the short term, I swapped the internal single socket for a Fused Spur with a 5Amp fuse.

The plan is to remove the garage onto its own way on the CU, and put a UnSw Spur inside the porch to allow the socket to return to more than 5 amps.

FTB.

Double socket with probably a dryer plugged into it. Un-switched spur to feed 2x lights, 60w bulb and 400w floodlight.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back