Installing flush socket box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The house I bought has a surface mounted socket box stuck on the lounge wall (a masonry wall), with 14 feet of cable running along the skirting (encased inside a square plastic tubing) and up the wall to a flush mounted socket. I want to get rid of the cable/plastic tubing (as it looks unsightly) and install a flush mounted socket to replace the surface mounted one. I have 'chain-drilled' along the wall so that I can chase-in the cable and I am just about to make the hole to take the flush mounted socket box.

Q: I am happy enough with my ability to do this job to a good standard, BUT, can somebody tell me: Is it OK to just shove the cable into the wall (and plaster over it)? Or do I need to 'protect' the cable in some way? Is there anything else that I need to bear in mind when doing this job? And are there likely to be any problems in the future (including with Building Regs, or whatever)?

Sponsored Links
The cable must run in safe zones - that is, in a straight horizontal or vertical line between accesories, and within 15cm of corners and ceilings.

The cable must run in safe zones - that is, in a straight horizontal or vertical line between accesories, and within 15cm of corners and ceilings.

Thanks for your reply, Steve. I have done the channeling the way you suggest (in straight lines), but do you know if I need to cover or protect the cable before I plaster over it?

Its optional. You can use capping, which is just a channel you nail over the pipe to protect it from the plasterer's trowel. Or you can use plastic conduit, but this is bigger, you'll need deeper holes. Capping is sufficient.

Sponsored Links

I will butt in here and ask a related question :0).

I need to move (& possibly add) a socket to a wall. The socket is currently mounted on a skirting board. Now, can just dig up a *vertical* channel above the skirting board and install a new socket there?

Also, if I want to move that socket *horizontally' say about 2 feet, could I dig a *horizontal* channel just above the skirting board and lay the new wiring upto the location of the new socket?

Thanks.

Robie

No problem with moving up from skirting board but would recommend lifting a floorboard to move horizontally.

Robie. The supply regulations in USVI are very different to the UK.

Why dont you move to Tortola? That way the supply is all British and you can drive on the left. ;)

Thanks for your reply, Steve. I have done the channeling the way you suggest (in straight lines), but do you know if I need to cover or protect the cable before I plaster over it?

As far as I was aware there is no need to cap over the cable. Yes it is done to protect against the over zealous plasterer but in the case I assume the plasterer will take care.

If it was me I would just clip it in place and bond and plaster over it .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back