installing fridge and washer to plug point?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently bought a flat that has had the washer and fridge removed - on inspection, there doesn\\\'t appear to be a normal plug point where the appliances were plugged in, however, there is a socket that resembles an \\\'arial\\\' type socket behind where each unit was which must have been the source of power as both units were in working condition.

Do I need to strip the wiring and if so, could someone talk me through what I need to do?

many thanks

Sponsored Links
They sound like flex outlet plates, and if so, should be isolated and protected by separate switches and fuses above the worktop. Somebody on here advocated the use of 15amp (not normal 13amp) sockets for this scenario, and I have to say I like the idea. If the supplies are protected and isolatable, it would be best to swap the two flex outlet plates for 15amp sockets, and wire 15amp plugs onto the end of your appliances. If not, then 13amp switched sockets would have to be installed.

Would need more details, i.e. confirmation of above worktop isolation before advocating one solution or the other. The age of the flat is a good indicator, the "kitchen control panels" are a fairly recent implementation.

On a technicality, if wired up in this fashion, are they not installed appliances and therefore part of the fixtures and fittings i.e. you can't take them when you move?

sounds like they are either fused spur outlets. If you turn the power off and open up the boxes there should be a load and supply side inside. You may have to remove the plugs on your appliances and 2hard wire" them in but before doing that are they under guarantee?

Thanks for the speedy reply. Yes there appear to be switches (fused)above the counter tops for both units. The flat is a relativly new build, and I would assume that when these were removed, they were simply unplugged from the sockets I described - from behind each unit.

Both were in working order, and I'm hoping to install the units myslef but this is the first time I have seen these type of sockets as opposed to the usual plug points. If I need to re-wire to accomodate a different type plug I may need some asssistance as I'm a true DIY NOT.

The owner didn't include them in the sale, and were therefore removed unfortunately.

Sponsored Links
the items (washer and fridge) are brand new - can you talk me through 2 hard wiring them?

The things on the wall under the worktop are not likely to be "sockets", but flex outlet plates as stated. Like Chivers said, this means cutting plugs off and hard-wiring. Photos would confirm this!

Thanks - if flex outlet plates look similar to a wall arial socket then this sounds right - I'm away from the prop now but will perhaps send some pics to confirm - it sounds like I need to learn how to hard wire them??

it is also possible to remove the flex outlets and fix ordinary 13A unswitched sockets in their place. This means you can use the plugs provided with the appliances and it is very much easier to install and remove them.

It wil be tiresome if you have a fuse blow, but this is very rare.

JohnD said:
it is also possible to remove the flex outlets and fix ordinary 13A unswitched sockets in their place. This means you can use the plugs provided with the appliances and it is very much easier to install and remove them.

It wil be tiresome if you have a fuse blow, but this is very rare.

Will you stop coming in here and suggesting simple, uncomplicated suggestions that are just as good as my own "can't see the wood for the the trees" ideas!!!!! :mad:

any advice on how to do either would be appreciated - is there a site I can go to for a step by step guide?

Behind the plate should be three wires, probably:

Red - Live
Black - Neutral
Green and Yellow sleeved copper - Earth

Put these in the terminals as marked, although any socket you might buy today will probably be marked:-

Brown - Live
Blue - Neutral
Green and Yellow - Earth

Just make sure to isolate it first, and if you don't feel you can do it safely and competently, get someone in. It really ought to be a ten minute job and not cost you the earth(not the green and yellow cable, but the planet we inhabit this time)

deancowell said:
yes - thats it. Any advice on how I need to wire the plug?

There is no plug! You need bare ends on the flex.

Cut the plug off the appliance (standard warning that this might void the warranty - check the users guide). Strip back the outer sheath of the flex, and strip suitable amount of the conductors (look inside the flex outlet first to judge the lengths needed - see below)

If you take the faceplate of the flex outlet, you will see three terminals and a cable grip. FIRST: Pass the flex through the faceplate (don't forget to do this before you connect up)! , then under the cable grip and connect the three cores to the appropriate terminals in the usual way. Tighten cable grip onto outer sheath of flex, screw faceplate back on and the job's done.

PS: and now you have a guide to both approaches :)

WHOA THERE!

There is a plug if you are putting in 13amp unswitched sockets.

Try and keep up Davelx!

I can see poor Dean ending up with the same situation but reversed!!!!

"Right, socket installed, now cut plug off, Oh French Connection United Kingdom!"

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back