Installing gas hob above consumer unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I hope I've put this in the right forum.
I'm fitting a new kitchen and I have a gas hob that I'm intending to locate above a cupboard that houses the consumer unit and electric meter. I want to know if this is OK or is it against regs.
The last thing I want to do is cut a nice hob sized hole in my lovely new worktops and have the man come to connect the gas tell me I can't have my hob there.
I can locate the hob elsewhere but I'd rather not if I don't have to.
Cheers

Sponsored Links
As far as the electrical requirements are concerned
Where an electrical service is located in close proximity to one or more non electrical services, both the following conditions shall be met.
(i) The wiring system shall be suitably protected against the hazards likely to arise from the presences of the other service in normal use.
(ii) Fault protection shall be afforded in accordance with the requiremnets of section 411

But installation of low pressure gas pipe work states
gas installation pipes must be spaced
a) at least 150mm away from electricity meters, controls, electrical switches or socket outlets, distribution boards or consumer units.
b) at least 25mm away from electricity supply and distribution cables.

BS6891:2005+2008 page 29 section 8.16.2

But installation of low pressure gas pipe work states
gas installation pipes must be spaced
a) at least 150mm away from electricity meters, controls, electrical switches or socket outlets, distribution boards or consumer units.
b) at least 25mm away from electricity supply and distribution cables.
Isn't there an alternative of placing a non-flammable insulating partition between gas and electricity pipes?

Sponsored Links
Isn't there an alternative of placing a non-flammable insulating partition between gas and electricity pipes?
If you look at requirement 528.3.3 (ii) it does relate to that, but
reading the requirements of 528.3.4 it states that both the following condition shall be met. (as detailed previously). So does not really offer the alternative.
This is taken from the low pressure gas system document BS6891, again this is a guidance document much like BS7671. But I would follow the requirement of BS6991 on this.
And as it will be a gas fitter installing it, I would think they would use BS6891 as guidance and requirement 528.3.3 is not stated, in this situation.

Cheers for the info, there's 250mm from the bottom of the hob to the consumer unit, so plenty of room for pipe access to stay over 150mm.
Worktops are coming in the morning so I'll go ahead and cut a big hole in it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back