Installing hive single channel on a logic combi 30

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My old system is comprised of a drayton LP111si Single channel programer and a honeywell wired thermostat. When I removed the old programer to try and slip the hive on it all powered on and turned green but would not physically activate the boiler. I know there are 2 cables used to control this but don't know what slots to use or if a wire is needed to connect them. I have attached 3 images 1 of the original wiring with the thermostat still attached and another without the thermostat connected, the last is of the only honeywell thermostat.
IMG_0605.JPG IMG_0606.JPG IMG_0607.JPG

Thanks in advance Archie

Sponsored Links
Have you turned the Honeywell to maximum temp, bridged out, or decommissioned?

Sponsored Links
Check the wiring diagram that came with the HIVE. By the looks of it, if the backplate now looks like PIC 2 and the black and grey run to the boiler's PCB, low(zero) volt side, you'd need to change one of the terminals.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Thanks for the quick response would i move the grey cable over and to what terminal?

Thanks for the quick response would i move the grey cable over and to what terminal?

You didn't answer any of the questions .... it's really important because you could cause damage if it's not done properly and I wouldn't want to be the one that offers the solution and you blow your boiler. I have to admit, the fact that you seem reluctant to look at the wiring diagram and then check your backplate and boiler wiring to ensure it's correct is a little worrying.

The reason I say this is the PIC2 wiring seems to have it's 5 core 240V white cable still connected, when that backplate is powered up the 240V live is heading somewhere, it was originally being switched through the stat. I would expected to see the now disconnected grey sheathed cable's black and grey heading to the boiler's zero voltage switch and the standard 3 core power cable still connected to power the backplate ergo the HIVE. The other white 5 core cable, originally heading to the stat, would be removed.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Why do you have wires in Terminal 4 on your origional wiring ?

The wiring has remained unchanged from the original install by BG also the 230v the 5 core is not coming to the thermostat that is managed by a three core. Also the boiler is on a spur. The first image shows the original wiring with the thermostat still attached.

Not sure why you have posted your last post, @Johnmdc has said what needs to be done, but by way of an explanation:

The Drayton LP111 doesn't make any use of terminal 4, so it was just used to connect the black wire from the thermostat to the grey wire that goes back to the boiler.
Likewise the Hive Single Channel doesn't have any function associated with terminal 4....

Hive.jpg

...but you have a wire in there :confused:

Now that the thermostat has been disconnected the grey wire in 4 should instead be connected to terminal 3. Which will replicate what you had before, but without the thermostat in circuit.

As it was
Terminal 3 > Brown wire = thermostat supply > Black wire = thermostat switched > terminal 4 used as connection > Grey switched wire to boiler

Without the room thermostat
Terminal 3 > Grey switched wire to boiler

Last edited:
IMG_0613.JPG
Just before I turn the power back on just want to double check that all the wiring looks in order.

Last edited:
The three core would normally be the power supply to that backplate from the FCU and the boiler should be fed from the same FCU to ensure safe isolation. If that's is the case then what is the live and neutral that is part of that 5 core cable now sending power to?

I would say LNE from FCU to backplate and backplate to boiler LNE?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back