installing long catnic

L

live4weekends

I've fitted several of these for new window openings (mostly 900mm ones), but now I have to fit a 2.7m one due to opening up kitchen to new extension through original outside cavity wall.

I see two options:

1: to slide up lintel from below in to the cavity (means I have to remove what would be the tops of the two pillars, prop up lintel and rebuild pillars)

2: remove bricks from one skin, remove mortar from other skin, and slide in lintel from one side. then rebuild the 3 course on the one side.

Any other optons? I've used option 2 in the past, but obviously with this size lintel it means remove three courses of bricks and then rebuilding up. with a 600mm window opening its only a few bricks to patch it up again

What would you pro's do? I'm using 3 akros and strongboys

Sponsored Links
Needle the masonry, remove enough brickwork. cut a slot in the blockwork and insert, then make good.

inner and outer skins are brick, house is 1920s

so remove 3 courses of one skin, mortar of other skin and slide in?

needles rather than strong boys? strong boys not up to the job?

cheers

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back