Installing multifuel stove/fire. Prob with register plate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well I know its not supposed to be a diy subject because of all those regulations but I am having a go.
The chimney has been swept and is in sound leakproof order-
So I've decided to proceed without lining and I will insert about 2ft of metal flue through the reg plate into the chimney.

My main problem concerns the metal register plate.
I will rest it on fixed angle iron and seal (with fireproof cement??).

How will I then remove the plate for the sweep?
Do I simply have to remove cement etc each time.

(The plate will be smallish - Approx 30cm x25cm so cant add opening for sweep brushes.)
Thanks
Stewart

Sponsored Links
As Rigid says, an access door in the metal flue pipe would help a lot..., and presumably there wont be enough room to lift it up from the burner then out of the way? However, there could be a substantial deposit of soot on top of the register plate, surrounding the flue pipe after a while. Although not really a big deal, its best to get rid of it so could you make an access hatch in the register plate big enough to get a vacuum cleaner nozzle in? Thats what I do, anyway. Sometimes these installations are so awkward I end up by sweeping the chimney from above - which is less than pleasant. Cheers John :)

Thanks for these helpful tips.
The Sweep actually mentioned opening up the chimney breast to form an access window but I just didnt fancy that even though it would be hidden behind a picture.

Instead of the above I am trying to think of a way that would make the removal of the plate easy. When I mentioned this to my friendly Sweep he had the idea of what he called a "double plate". ie 1 plate at the rear and with a cut for the flue pipe- another larger plate which was part cut for the flue and which overlapped or underlapped the back plate. This would make his job easy he said as he could gently remove the front plate to give him excellent access.

Trying to develop his idea, I can't think of a way to link these 2 plates together well. Also it seems to me that I will have to seal it all up to make the plate/s effective and then remove all the seals to remove the front plate!
Anyone with some sensible bright ideas please ?!

What if I used just a single plate and then when the chimney needs cleaning I remove the flue (can I do that?) without disturbing the plate and the sweep then uses the hole in the plate as an access point- is that going to work?

Thanks again
Stewart

Sponsored Links
I've seen the double plate system before and although it does work its a bit of a mess really - especially as your register plate is really small. With the small wood burners I have at me holiday cot its easier to lift the flue pipe of the top, and drag the burner out of the way - its dead easy to get it there then with the sweeps brush. I wouldn't be putting an access door in the chimney breast - although if the chimney was on an outside gable end it would be the way to go. When I put my own home made plates in place I made access doors for both brush and vacuum - but they are much larger than yours. I also pointed the insides up with a cement / vermiculite mix which filled all of the gaps - and the flues pull well. Cheers John :)

:LOL: Think thats it then...so push up the flue pipe ...bring stove forward and then take out the flue pipe for the sweep's brushes. That sounds like the best answer to me.

Hopefully then I won't disturb the plate... have I got that right?

All I will disturb when the chimney is to be cleaned is the fixing around the flue as it passes through the plate and where its linked to the fire.
Have I got that right please??

Stewart

I had to join up to post as I actually did this today.

Simply cut out a 6x6" access hole, use a 7x7" or 8x8" plate to cover.

Use some mastic inbetween and use 4 self tapping screws.

I got the idea from this:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/REGISTER-PLAT...s_RL?hash=item27ac001d25&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

If you have a plate 25cmx30cm and you have a 5" flue then you should have a little bit of room to play round with.

Maybe even a 4x4" cutout? So long as you can get your brush in. Which woudl easily fit!!!

Hope this helps

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Thanks for that Gareth..the picture was great.
Will do the template this weekend and see if I can fit in the 4"x4" hole as you suggest.
That is so simple- I only hope that Ive enough room.
Thanks again Gareth and everyone who joined in.
Stewart

:LOL: Think thats it then...so push up the flue pipe ...bring stove forward and then take out the flue pipe for the sweep's brushes. That sounds like the best answer to me.

Hopefully then I won't disturb the plate... have I got that right?

All I will disturb when the chimney is to be cleaned is the fixing around the flue as it passes through the plate and where its linked to the fire.
Have I got that right please??

Stewart

If there's no room for an access hole in your register plate, these methods will work perfectly ;) so good luck with it.....I used 3mm BDMS plate to make mine - a bit over the top but at least I could tap screw threads to hold the access covers on. Cheers John :)

why dont you get a hetas registered installer to fit it? either with liner and proper fluepipe connector. or a spun adaptor that fits directly to flue?
the advantages...
1 you will be covered on your insurance
2 its registered as a proper installation, with you, HETAS, and local council.
3 it will work far better, safer and economically giving a return on your investmant.

nearly all the suggestions given are not regulation. No proper seal is being made and giving chance for potentially fatal fumes into your house,
and real cause for buildup of soot that could cause a chimney fire. if your insurance finds out that you or a non registered installer completed the intallation ..you will receive £0

i realise its a DIY site but this needs to be done correctly.

if you follow them at least put a cabon monixide detector in.

i will probably get abuse for suggesting the above, but sorry guys its the law.
and has the penalties as gas safe or what was corgi would give out to people carrying out unsafe work.

if you insist on doing it yourself at least look online for the correct parts. could save you a few £100.

good luck

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back