Installing new shower

PICT0003.jpg

PICT0002.jpg

Pics as promised.

Sponsored Links
Softus said:
Its not impossible to install an 8.5kw on 6mm cable on a rewirable fuse
Er, it is in this case, because of where the cable is to be run.

I didn't say it was not impossible in this case.

You assumed the cable run in conduit. The OP said channelled in and plastered over which can be deemed to be ref method 1, 47A , therefore the cable run itself is not the issue.

And having seen the CU nothing detracts me from my previous post.
50pence says he ends up with a new/additional CU, and 10mm cable !

So if i go the route of new cu could some one advise on what/which to purchase for my needs.

thanks

Minefield you say?

New CU in my opinion is one of few jobs that only a professional should do. Especially as even professionals bend the law just tiny amount removing the cutout seal to isolate the board!

And if you intend to but the materials but get an electrician to do the job, I wouldnt bother. Electricians get better prices than you and have their preferences and recommendations. Plus wholesalers hate customers who come in saying "My electrician said this blah blah blah!"

Summary: call a professional!

Sponsored Links
CallEdsFirst said:
Minefield you say?

New CU in my opinion is one of few jobs that only a professional should do. Especially as even professionals bend the law just tiny amount removing the cutout seal to isolate the board!

And if you intend to but the materials but get an electrician to do the job, I wouldnt bother. Electricians get better prices than you and have their preferences and recommendations. Plus wholesalers hate customers who come in saying "My electrician said this blah blah blah!"

wouldn't attempt to do this myself although i could install the run of shower cable back to the cu so that i can get on with the bathroom, was asking for advise so i don't get ripped of and know in advance of what is needed.

Ignorance is not always bliss.

Thanks to all.

You CANNOT fit a circuit >32A to a board with a main switch rating of <100A.

That's why the 40A fuse shields have a tab on the back. If you fit them into an unsuitable board, they are at an angle, they don't sit vertically.

equitum said:
And having seen the CU nothing detracts me from my previous post.
No - I can't think of anything that would detract you further.

50pence says he ends up with a new/additional CU, and 10mm cable !
In that case you're foolish as well as hard of reading. Who do you think was the first person to respond to the OP, and the first to point out that a CU and cable change might be necessary? :roll

You have entirely missed my point, which to repeat was: why debate potential solutions that may be technically feasible and potentially barely within regs when it was clear enough from the OP at the very outset what a sensible approach would be.

And you really must get out of the habit of overuse of the rolling eyes smiley.

equitum said:
You have entirely missed my point, which to repeat was: why debate potential solutions that may be technically feasible and potentially barely within regs when it was clear enough from the OP at the very outset what a sensible approach would be.
In which case you've entirely failed to read my previous answer to that very question, which to repeat was:

Because debate is the means by which people who don't know and understand things come to know and understand them. It's not very helpful just to say that the answer is inevitable, especially when it isn't, nor to say that the right course of action is to follow common sense, when the OP doesn't have any in this context.

And when I say 'not very helpful', I actually mean 'utterly unhelpful'.

And you really must get out of the habit of overuse of the rolling eyes smiley.
This seems to be an entirely appropriate time to use one.

My opinion is most people ask for advice because they want to know the solution to their problem. In this case the solution was to add/replace CU and install 10mm cable. If, after being given the solution they are unsure why this is the solution, doubt the advice, or are just inquisitive then you can have a debate about it and explain the underlying principles that led to the given solution.

Example, if I need to support a wall with an RSJ, I could ask a structural engineer ( as I have no experience or knowledge of this subject) for the size I need given the load and nature of the support required. I am not interested in the calculations, just what size lump of steel I need.

I find that the replies to many posts forget the original question and purpose, and become instead a forum for patronisation and petty squabbling. I am guilty of being drawn into this so will endeavour to keep the interests of the OP and the general objectives of the forum in mind.

blackbob said:
was asking for advise so i don't get ripped of and know in advance of what is needed.

I have to say, on this occasion, it would appear that the OP is looking for the whys and wherefores and not just the "patronisation" that it's "obvious" what he needs to do!

blackbob said:
CallEdsFirst said:
Minefield you say?

wouldn't attempt to do this myself although i could install the run of shower cable back to the cu so that i can get on with the bathroom, was asking for advise so i don't get ripped of and know in advance of what is needed.

Thanks to all.

No further on and still looking for the advise, going of the type of cu i now have (photo) what type and size do i now need and how many mcb's/rcd are needed.

OR

Could i use one of these to cut down on cost and replace the cu later

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Shower-Unit-C...ryZ26215QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

thanks

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
equitum said:
My opinion is most people ask for advice because they want to know the solution to their problem.
In that case I am happy for our opinions to differ.

If, after being given the solution they are unsure why this is the solution, doubt the advice, or are just inquisitive then you can have a debate about it and explain the underlying principles that led to the given solution.
In that case I'm happy to debate things when I want to, and for you to debate things when you want to.

I've never suggested that you should debate when you think it's inappropriate, so I have no motivation to not debate something when I think it is appropriate.

blackbob said:
No further on and still looking for the advise, going of the type of cu i now have (photo) what type and size do i now need and how many mcb's/rcd are needed.

OR

Could i use one of these to cut down on cost and replace the cu later

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Shower-Unit-C...ryZ26215QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

thanks

I would advise against buying from ebay, go to an electrical factors, but this type of shower unit, i.e RCCB and mcb would be ok as an addition. You will need a henley block to terminate the two sets of tails for the CU's (existing and new) and would advise therefore that you have an isolator fitted first by your dno (should be free) so that you can work safely on the henley and new CU.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back