Installing pedestrian garage door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm after a bit of advice...

We're purchasing a new build and one of the things I asked was a side door to be fitted in the garage, so you can access from the garden and not just through the side gate and then through the main garage door.

They came back to us and said it couldn't be done - I wasn't part of this discussion so don't know the exact reason - although the words that have come up are - levelling, damp proofing, extra thick walls... - I'm just after any advice (if anyone has gone across this before/ experience ofthis) before I have further discussions with them.

I'm a complete layman, so don't want to be fobbed off.

Any advice greatly appreciated

Sponsored Links
They probably just don't want to complicate their schedules with buyers individual whims. If they bowed to everyone's little changes here and there it would royaly screw up their programme so a blanket refusal to all may be adopted.

It can be done, and it can be done easily with no impact on any programme.

Sponsored Links
Bet it's one of the big builders.
I had a similar problem, so after completion it was a good introduction to DIY and an excuse to buy some new boys toys. Pretty simple.

Hi All,

I have a similar situation with wanting to install a side access door from the garden into the garage. I'm pretty confident I can do this myself, but does anyone know if building control/regulations apply to this kind of project.

The garage shares part of one wall with the main house, so I don't think it counts as fully detached even though there is no direct access from the garage into the house. The walls are brick (single skin). It fits a single car (i.e. <30m2) and has a tiled double pitched roof if that makes any difference.

I've tried the online resources and send communications to the council, but I'm keen to get this done ASAP as I'm working on the garden at the moment and having to walk round the entire house to get tools is a nightmare.

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back