Installing RCBO Query

I didn’t say dual boards are non compliant or unsafe

I was just stating the fact that they don’t make any sense these days
No but this
... Problem is that there are still too many muppets fitting dual RCD boards when they should be fitting RCBO boards
Seems to indicate there is something wrong with them.

I'm planning to only uograde the lighting curcuits from standard MCB's to RCBO's because currently I have no RCD protection to any of the lighting circuits.

I only found out about this when adding a new light to my uninhabitable loft area.

I will all of the other circuits e.g. Ring and cooker in place as they are RCD protected.
Im suggesting you move one ring to an RCBO so a problem on one will not affect both and leave you without any working sockets.

I assume 6A and 32A are the same price so for the same price there is a tiny advantage.

Sponsored Links
Im suggesting you move one ring to an RCBO so a problem on one will not affect both and leave you without any working sockets.

I assume 6A and 32A are the same price so for the same price there is a tiny advantage.
Very underrated poster.. That's a big advantage.

Also, looks like I have room for the RCBO's

Attachments

• IMG_20240308_111900392~2.jpg
    IMG_20240308_111900392~2.jpg
    318.8 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_20240308_111647633~2.jpg
    IMG_20240308_111647633~2.jpg
    327.5 KB · Views: 46
I would say there is room. Sometimes you have a mass of cables coming across you can’t move.

Personally I would go for 2 6A to ensure your lights will stay on as much as possible.

When I did mine I added a 32A rcbo (eg for downstairs sockets). I thought about suggesting it, but concluded the op install was smaller and little cost benefit. At £12 they are cheaper than I thought though

Sponsored Links
No but this

Seems to indicate there is something wrong with them.

When non flammable units were mandated and the need for us to consider earth leakage to 10mA (IIRC) then dual boards made absolutely no sense what so ever and the IET / JPEL should have removed them as an option

ONLY for upgrades and new builds

I've spent far too much time earning money fault finding dual boards over the years ...........

I would say there is room. Sometimes you have a mass of cables coming across you can’t move.

Personally I would go for 2 6A to ensure your lights will stay on as much as possible.

When I did mine I added a 32A rcbo (eg for downstairs sockets). I thought about suggesting it, but concluded the op install was smaller and little cost benefit. At £12 they are cheaper than I thought though
However looking at the way that is wired it may be tricky making the space for full size RCBO's
These https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MKH7732M.html at £14.20 are rated 6KA and much easier to fit in there

...When I did mine I added a 32A rcbo (eg for downstairs sockets). I thought about suggesting it, but concluded the op install was smaller and little cost benefit. At £12 they are cheaper than I thought though
I knew the cost would come down but in all honesty I didn't think to these sorts of prices.

An Early All RCBO board I fitted was 18 devices, it came out just over£1K with enclosure, busbar and tails etc for the materials

Very underrated poster.. That's a big advantage.

Also, looks like I have room for the RCBO's
Hopefully, you have isolated things prior to the CU i.e. using a DP isolator at the meter.
Otherwise, please avoid removing the cover off your CU while live, especially when wielding a metal tape measure.

On the right hand side use the existing RCD then put the other lighting circuit here and Bob's your uncle?
Not permitted, as the existing RCD is a Type AC, which is no longer permitted for anything other than fixed equipment which has no DC components - basically resistive heaters and nothing else.

The cost difference these days is much smaller and you’ll recoup that the first time you have a problem as it’s immediately obvious which circuit is faulty
True, but there is another side to this - that unless/until RCBOs come with appropriate 'indicators', their use (as opposed to RCD+MCB) means that it is not apparent (let alone 'immediately obvious') whether the fault on the circuit was one of over-current or earth leakage.

Not permitted, as the existing RCD is a Type AC, which is no longer permitted for anything other than fixed equipment which has no DC components - basically resistive heaters and nothing else.
Strictly true but, in this situation, somewhat perverse .... whatever may or may not be 'permitted', I would say that moving a circuit such that it became protected by a Type AC MCB was preferable ('safer') to leaving it with no RCD protection at all, wouldn't you?

It seems rather silly to leave a situation 'less safe' than it could be solely in order to achieve strict compliance with regulations!¬

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back