Installing under cabinet lights question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, first post on here, I've tried searching but haven't found a answer to my question.

I have had my kitchen refitted and is currently all skimmed out and tiled wall units up etc.

I have a FCU taken off a double socket with a vertical 2.5mm T&E feed to a flex outlet above the wall units for the extractor hood. My question is can I use the flex outlet to feed the hood and under cabinet lighting or do I need to provide a separate supply for the lighting?

I am a architectural technician for a living so know about works being notifiable in kitchens etc

All help and advice/ criticism welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Nick

Sponsored Links
You could use the feed for the lights too, but you'll have to provide a separate switch for the lights, how would you engineer that?

I would put a 3amp fuse in the FCU. That will be plenty for the lights & the hood.

PS Electyrical work in kitchens is no longer notifiable :eek: unless a new circuit is involved.

I was thinking of only having the under cabinet lighting on at the same time as the cooker hood as it is a switched DP FCU. the vent for the Hood isn't connected to the outside via ducting so is only really used for the lighting over the oven as don't want sh*t blown out the top of it onto the ceiling. Bit pointless having it really.

So is it safe to take both the hood and lighting into a single flex outlet?

Oh is it not. Shows how up to speed I am on the regs.

Nick

Flex outlet? I'd have a 20A JB, then you can connect several cables in there if you want.
Surely you'd use the feed for both, the hood will have integrated switches switch to turn the lights on and off (and another for the fan). Put a switch under the wall cupboards for the lights and have them switched separately.

Sponsored Links
Swap the flex outlet for a double socket, then you can plug in the cooker hood and the under cabinet lights.

LED strip is the future for under cabinet lighting. Cheap to buy, cheap to run and maintenance free. You couldn't ask for more :)

Can anyone recommend a decent set of the led strip lights. Ideally need 5 strips. The ones I have found have 1m tails on them do these link each strip or go to a transformer as information I have found isn't very clear to be honest.

Thanks in advance.

Nick

The ones I have found have 1m tails on them do these link each strip or go to a transformer as information I have found isn't very clear to be honest.
The folk on here are very clever
but
they aren't clairvoyant

You are asking something like, "I am thinking of buying a car, how fast will it go"?

Make and model please and/or a link to the product.

Can anyone recommend a decent set of the led strip lights. Ideally need 5 strips. The ones I have found have 1m tails on them do these link each strip or go to a transformer as information I have found isn't very clear to be honest.

Thanks in advance.

Nick

IKEA

KA

Your re-circulating extractor is useful for more than just lights - it should have a charcoal filter in it which will remove the smells from the air from cooking, and also grease filters.

So definitely use it!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back