Installing under floor heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm in the process of redoing my kitchen. I'm planning on getting an electrician in shortly to sort out new sockets/isolators for all the appliances. I'm also planning on installing under tile warming which I will get the electrician to connect.

Question is, can I get on and lay the insulation, cabling and tiles before I get the electrician in, then just leave him to connect it up and test it? I assume he wouldn't need to see the under tile part? This way I can crack on with it.

Cheers,
Steve

Sponsored Links
Yes you can, bring the cold tails and probe wires up to a box on the wall where you want the controller to be.

The sparky will then need to run a feed (could be a spur from a nearby socket) to an FCU that serves the floor heating.

The circuit will need to be RCD protected.
The works will need notification to your LABC. (Any registered spark will do this as part of his works)

When you lay the mat/element - follow the instructions very carefully. ESPECIALLY the bit about testing the resistance of the element before and after installation. Otherwise you have a very expensive repair.

Did you have a make for the mat in mind?

Sounds good.

I was thinking about an Ambient system but I'm open to recommendations.

Steve

I usually install Devi or WarmUp. Never had a bad'un yet..

Except when a client drilled a hole in the bathroom floor to fit a door stop :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back