insulated floor for extention

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,i am in the process of building a side extention on my house,i was wondering if buy putting insulation boards in the floor in the garage space it would make a difference to the warmth of the bedroom above that i intend on having.the garage space will only be used for storage.
thanks

Sponsored Links
It will make a difference to the warmth in the garage which will have an effect on the area above.
If you have the opportunity to insulate now, do it, rather than wished you had done it at a latter date.

I haven't checked this but I would have thought that part L of the building regs would insist that the floor space between an unheated garage and a habitable room above is insulated.

Check with your BCO and download part L off t'internet. I think there are fire regulations that have to be adhered to when building above a garage also. It doesn't matter if you intend to keep a car in it or not.

You could either use rolls of fibreglass insulation or Kingspan or similar.

Craig.

From what the bco said it was upto me wether its insulated or not only reccomendation he made was that its easier to do now than later
thanks

Sponsored Links
Sorry, you mean you are thinking about insulating the garage floor??

I don't think it will make a lot of difference to the warmth of the garage space...you'll still have a large, thin door with gaps all round. You would also have to make sure that the concrete floor above the insulation is well reinforced...I know you don't intend to keep a car in it but you might change your mind...and future owners would appreciate it too.

It will be handy if you or a future owner ever wants to convert the garage space into a habitable room, but I don't think you will feel much benefit in the bedroom.
As I said in my previous post, you'd be better off insulating the floor space between the garage and the bedroom.

Craig.

As I said in my previous post, you'd be better off insulating the floor space between the garage and the bedroom.
As you point out this mandatory anyway he wants to add insul under the ground floor as a bit extra. I agree it'll do little unless the door is insulated but for a future conversion it could be a godsend.

Does one not park a car on a garage floor....?

Don't insulate, it will be a waste of time.

If you decide to convert later on then you will (or should have) 150mm to play around with to get you back up to the house floor level. Use this space to insulate should you need to.

Thanks gentlemen for your input the cost at this stage is around £150 for insulation not a big amount in the scheme of things,but at least i can now make a informed desicion based upon your input
thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back