Insulated Plasterboard (yes or no)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys and Gals,

First I would like to say hi as I have just stumbled across this site as I look for advice on the internerd with regards to fitting insulated plasterboard at home.

Basically I had an extension build only 6 years ago and have decided to make some alterations as I was never happy with the layout with the kitchen.

Upon removing the old wall tiles I found the walls were covered with basic insulated plasterboard which had been installed by dot and dabbing.

I removed all the plasterboard as the tiles had left large areas of damage when I removed them and also to make life easier when installing the new electrics.

Anyway, I was wondering if I actually needed insulated plasterboard in the first place. The walls of the extension are constructed with normal house brick on the outside and the inside is 100mm aerated blocks. The cavity between the brick and blocks is filled with rectangular rockwall insulation.

I am now in the process of preparing the wall for plastering and would like to know if I can just batten and board this wall with plasterboard or whether I would need insulated board again?

Secondly I am getting pretty confused with what I am reading as some sites say I need a vapor barrier etc?

If anyone could offer me advice, that would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Neil

Sponsored Links
Regulations at the time would have asked for a thermal value and to achieve that number, the designer came up with your design.

Fitting additional insulation internally usually comes about when the new extension is built to the same cavity thickness as the existing walls i.e. say 50mm, when the latest reg's ask for double that. This then means that you have to bolster the the thermal value of the wall by adding insulation internally.

It is up to you whether you ignore what was there previously and no one is likely to find out. However, you may alter the condensation dew point within the room and run the risk of having black spot mould appearing on this wall.

Thanks for the reply.

Never knew insulation was so technical. I'll put the same stuff back on the wall in that case but might use battens instead. Can I batten the wall and then add insulation and would I need a vapor barrier also?.

i was thinking of battening out, cutting insulation to fit, then some membrane and then placing 12.5mm plasterboard over the top. Am i on the right lines for doing this?

Sponsored Links
The only stumbling block is that the battens have the ability to transmit cold thus resulting in 'shadowing'. The solution is to run the insulation across the battens (thus adding more thickness to the wall)

....or do what they have done previously and dab insulated boards direct to the wall.

I would have built the wall with a full sized cavity and saved all this nonsense, especially in a kitchen where fixing stuff to walls is an important issue.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back