Insulated,plastered ceiling to existing conservatory roof

i wouldn't mind doing this but the extra weight and condensation worry s me also ware do you screw the boards to the glazing bars and as for building regs who lives in the house me or the council i agree that it has to be safe as i have two kids i wouldn't want no harm to them but some of the regs are just silly now

Sponsored Links
All conservatories must be separated from the house by an external quality door, patio door or French doors. is one regulation

if anyone can tell me a good reason why then i will hold my hands up but i carnt think of a good reason (ignoring the building regs for this question) its a personal option and i do my best to follow all rules and regs when i do work on my property thats why i will be leaving my patio doors in when i build my conservatory much to my disagreement

Because the government considers that as energy users, home-owners have a responsibility to try to keep their energy use down. Conservatory's are rubbish insulators. I thought you were gonna come up with a good example! :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
yeah the government say no more. anyway going back onto the topic surely insulating the roof and plastering it will make it more energy efficient but you then need building regs (or so i believe) to do that so can we ever get to do what we want

You'll never really be able to convert a conservatory successfully. If you want an extension then build one, if you want a conservatory then build one.

Besides as mentioned your example is a bit poo, anyone sensible knows conservatory's are rubbish insulators and ought to be separated from the main house. Frankly though if you want get rid of the door and add some pointless insulation under the glass then go right ahead. Nobody on here will care frankly. ;)

A conservatory is an extension which has "Not less than three quarters of its roof area and not less than one half of its external wall area made from translucent material"

[Approved document L1A, 77a]

I put it to you, that if you were to try to persuade a BCO that your insulated and plasterboarded roof was still "made from translucent material" because it had polycarbonate on the outside, he'd probably think you were insulting his intelligence.

Possibly you could make your extension comply, but it's still notifiable, as it's no longer a conservatory. Less of an issue if you're doing it for yourself; potentially quite a large issue if you're doing it for clients.

Cheers
Richard

Gazza1987
we fix battens to the underside of the glazing bars, insulate between(leaving an air gap above to eliviate condensation)then we use insulated plasterboard & plaster skim finish.
The glazing bars are designed to withstand snow & high winds & are very strong!
Mines be done or 6 years now & no problems.

Didn't realise how noisy my polycarbonate was going to be when it rained.
Also the room was so hot in direct sunlight.
As i have ample glazing around the perimetre of the structure for light it is the perfect soloution.
I know have a comfortable room that i can use all year around. :D

The only reason to use polycarbonate instead of glass is to save money. I would never have a polycarbonate roof - having a glass roof is really inspiring. Nothing better than sitting in my conservatory with a cold drink and looking up at the stars...:cool:

What you have done sounds like a right dog's dinner to me, but if you're happy with it good luck with it . :confused:

Hi,

We have started to insulate traditional polycarbonate roofs & plasterboard & skim under the existing glazing bars.
Keeps the look of a conservatory roof from the outside with a traditional ceiling on the inside.
Warm in the winter & cooler in the summer. Benefits as follows;

1.Reduced heat loss through roof
2.Easier to heat in winter
3.Stops sun glare which fades furniture
4.Reduces noise from heavy rainfall/hail stones
4.Allows client to decorate to their choice
//www.diynot.com/network/randyandy/albums/

would you be interested in doing the same for my consevatory?

We have moved into a new house (1996 vintage) with an insulated conservatory ceiling. Polycarb was a little hazy but when rubbed I could see insulation on the suspended plaster ceiling covered in green mould and mildew. My bro who is a chartered surveyor has instructed me to rip it out. There has to be consideration for ventilation. As everybody else has said - if you want a proper room, build one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back