insulating around downlighters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Might be in the wrong section... but here goes.

I insulated my loft a year ago and built little wooden frames around the downlighters, as you do.

The other day I noticed evidence of condensation on some of the rafters and am concerned heat is wafting up through the down lighters from the room below.
Dont use the lights much so its not like theyre blazing away all night, chucking off loads of heat.

No probs last year - been a bit nippy recently and had the heat cranked upto 11 plus Ive been in and out the loft alot over the Chrimbo period, so maybe heats escaped that way???

Should I put a lid on the frames and a layer of insulation over them - or is the loft poorly ventelated - am considering installing a few soffit vents anyway.

Whadjathink?

Cheers

Neil

Sponsored Links
You need proper vents. The lights emit negligible amounts of heat, compared to the whole loft space. This should really be in lofts or another section.

Similaarly, opening the loft hatch isn't the problem. Obviously when it is open warm air gets up there, but not enough to cause huge amounts of condensation, i would have though.

"had the heat cranked up to 11 plus" means nothing to us. We might have boilers that go up to "100" :LOL: "had the heat on high" is better ;) :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back