insulating floor for sound + thermal

G

george765

I have been advised of the best way to insulate a floor to meet Part E. I didnt want to raise my floor too much so the building inspector suggested that acoustic planks are fitted beneath the floor, between the joists.
Apparently the planks are supported on 'top hats' that fit over the joist but are thin enough to allow the flooring to be re-layed.
I have searched on google but can't find anyone that stocks these 'top hats' ...can anyone tell me where I can get them.
thanks, george

Sponsored Links
Encon or Sheffield Insulations - if you have one of those near you. Or order online. Or phone a manufacturer (e.g. Lafarge) and ask them for a local supplier.

I would also double check on that idea though. Acoustic floors are made up of several elements that should be belanced with each other. Just adding another dense element might not be the best option.

Is this a floor within a house or a floor separating two flats? And what is the existing construction?

thanks for the reply, wil give those companys a ring monday.
I havnt' given the full spec' of the floor as my problem is just finding the 'top hats'
I will be adding 2 x 15mm acoustic boards onto resilient bars which in turn will be fitted to 50mm sq timber fitted to the ceiling. (an aditional ceiling would be too low). Insulation will be added between the timber.
above.I will lift the floorboards. add some quilt, then the boards between the joists (hopefully on these 'top hat' things), then replace the existing sq cut floorboards with 22mm t&g. then a sound mat before carpet.
Hopefully all this will do the job.
The floor is seperating a part of my house as a flat.
thanks again,
george

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back