Insulating garage converted to toilet?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, we live in an old semi that originally had a single storey garage and kitchen to the side. At some point in time, this was mostly removed and a two storey extension was put on the house where this was. However, a very small section at the back of the house remained and was converted to a store room. This strangely has a chimney above it, as I assume it was part of the kitchen in a previous era.

This store room has since been converted by the last owners into a downstairs toilet when they extended the back of the house and they made downstairs open plan. Problem is, this toilet is absolutely freezing and despite having the door closed, it creates a draft into the adjoining room.

It would appear that to create the toilet they have put a partition wall in and then tiled on top of it. But when I tap it, it sounds hollow as though there is no insulation in place behind it. So there’s essentially a void that is cold and is fed from the chimney above. I’ve capped off the chimney but as it’s basically a single skin wall, it’s still freezing.

I can gain access to this void by removing the roof tiles (which I will be looking to replace anyway) and I’m just wondering if I can retro fit some insulation in there to the back of the plasterboard and is this likely to make any difference to the room? If so, what would you recommend using to insulate? Boards, rolls or other materials?

The walls to the right and left as you walk into the toilet are the original double skinned walls of the house and so I don’t suspect they’re compounding the problem and that it is purely going to be the thin plasterboard wall that was likely put in place as a way of hiding the pipes etc.

Hope this makes some sense and grateful for any help.

Sponsored Links
Do you have a infra red thermometer? It might be worth checking the external temperatures. A cold room can often be due to an undersized radiator. Have you checked the local authority planning portal to see if a Build control approval was submitted?

Celotex or similar has good thermal efficiency and is cost effective for a small room. Loft roll in the roof void is good if there is plenty of space. Some pictures would help. I'm guessing this is a 1930s house? 50mm celotex is probably the cost effective option and will reduce the U value from around 1-2 to 0.3.

Hi

thanks for the reply.
I’ll try and get some photos together but further to what you mention. There is no radiator or heater within the toilet at all - which compounds the issue.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back