Insulating internal wall - advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I need to insultate an internal wall that is outside facing as it gets really cold in the winter and condensation runs down. The room is small so I want to limit the space lost as much as possible. Will a 25mm PIR insulation board with 12mm MDF be sufficient or should I go for the 50mm PIR board? ps I am using MDF on top so can paint straight over rather than have to get a plasterer to skim plasterboard who will probably still charge a full days work!

Sponsored Links
.Will a 25mm PIR insulation board with 12mm MDF be sufficient or should I go for the 50mm PIR board? ps I am using MDF on top so can paint straight over rather than have to get a plasterer to skim plasterboard who will probably still charge a full days work!
The more insulation the better and TBH 25mm is not a lot of insulation. As to plastering and MDF, surely you'd be better off using insulation and taper edged plasterboards, and learning how to tape and joint? That will be cheaper than MDF, even if you need to buy some tools

Last edited by a moderator:
The more insulation the better and TBH 25mm is not a lot of insulation. As to plastering and MDF, surely you'd be better off using insulation and taper edged plasterboards, and learning how to tape and joint? That will be cheaper than MDF, even if you need to buy some tools
Thanks
It's more the skimming of the plasterboard that I want to avoid - unless you can paint straight onto plasterboard nowadays?

DIY and cannot plaster
Taping and jointing is a lot easier.
I got a few bubbles in the paper tape on the first attempts. Took it off a re-did the joint.
Fiba fuse may be easier. Self adhesive mesh tape.
Got myself 'tooled up' for about £30. Stainless, 6", 10" knives and a pan

You can paint plasterboard.
Plasterboard is not as resilient as skim and will dent if knocked.

Sponsored Links
So the outside wall of my Bathroom has 25mm of PIR under 12mm of (plywood cored) Shower panelling.

Was it worth it?
Well yes it did stop Ice forming on the walls.
The room didn't really feel any warmer. The shower panelling didn't feel cold to touch.

Now the room has 100mm of external wall insulation added and that has made a noticeable difference.

I'd suggest a minimum of 50mm PIR. Cover with MR Plasterboard. If you do not wish to skim you can do as they do in office compartmentalisations - 2 layers of lining paper and paint or one lining paper and one finish wallpaper.

Thanks
It's more the skimming of the plasterboard that I want to avoid - unless you can paint straight onto plasterboard nowadays?
After taping and filling the joints, paper it all with heavy weight lining paper, then paint over that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back