Insulating Loft Futureproofed for Converting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I need to increase my loft insulation but would like to have the loft converted in a couple of years.

What would be the most efficient way to do this, reducing waste if it’s converted?

It’s currently boarded, which is useful, so I think I’d rather insulate at roof level. Would PIR boards between the rafters and a superquilt underneath be best?

Sponsored Links
Depending on how the lofts converted the roof or part may have to come off , not much point insulating it as it’s not going to help trap heat below the ceilings.You could use full sheets of pir board directly on loft floor until converting.(Assuming you can get them into loft).

Hi,

Insulating between the rafters, as for a loft conversion, would also mean providing ventilation to the same standards.
Do you have soffit, over fascia, or tile vents on both sides of the loft?
Do you have ridge ventilation to allow a decent crossflow of air, above the insulation?

If not, then that may be a great deal of work, that also has to be factored in.

If you haven't seen these before, there are some interesting videos on the following YouTube channel, showing how loft conversions/storage rooms are constructed and insulated:

I hope that helps! :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back