Insulating of boiler return pipe work

You mentioned about the safety factor, my response was towards that.

If the rads are too hot you turn the boiler flow down, so in turn the return pipe would be turned down to wouldn't it?

As I said, common sense should prevail

The heat emitted from the copper pipe would be negligible even in the summer.

It's tucked out of the way of hands, so the notion of safety is moot, especially as the return pipe is colder than the radiators would be.

You will find none of the pipes are insulated where they run through the floor, and the heat dissipates through the floor still, so even in the summer when you want hot water your still emitting heat through the pipes and the floors.

Edit: reading the thread again I'm sure this thread is a wind up..

Re
You will find none of the pipes are insulated where they run through the floor, and the heat dissipates through the floor still, so even in the summer when you want hot water your still emitting heat through the pipes and the floors.

ALL the hot water pipes are insulated,When I say ‘ Hot Water’ I don’t mean hot water for heating…so there’s No heat dissipated in the summer, and the central heating pipes don’t get hot in the summer anyway, so yes they don’t need insulating…….

Read more: https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/insulating-of-boiler-return-pipe-work.584559/#ixzz7Hc1pbnUz

Sponsored Links
The flow temperature is 85oC as set by the installer, return would be around 55oC to 65oC so still quite hot IMO
85°C seems very high to me. I'm not a heating engineer and my flow temperature is 65°C

Edit: How do you know it's 85°C if you don't have a flow temperature indicator?

Sponsored Links
The flow temperature is 85oC as set by the installer, return would be around 55oC to 65oC so still quite hot IMO
85/65 is far too hot for the system (unless you have a thermal store). Condensing boilers don't start to condense until the return falls below 52°C. Your shiny new boiler will only be running at about 80% efficiency at that temperature. Turn the temp down. Aim for 65 flow 45 return

Last edited:
I’ve got a similar boiler that came with the house. They’re popular because of Bosch marketing and they got Which to promote them, but they’re basic and must have the seals replaced every 1-2 years. Anyways, 83C is the setting pegged to max. There’s no reference number or lines on the dial like other basic boilers. Like an hour clock, I’ve set mine around 1:30 and have marked it. It satisfies a cold to hot water tank request in about 25-30 mins.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back