insulating pipes in warm service void

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to replace 15mm copper water pipes with PEX in a service void. The existing pipes are lagged. However, the void is in the lounge behind the stairs and formed of a single 12.5mm layer of plasterboard. The pipes are on an external wall with 75mm CWI. I think the void will be about the same temperature as the lounge.

Bearing in mind that I'll have to tear down almost the entire void to fit insulation. Is there any point trying to insulate the replacement pipes?

Sponsored Links
Do you mean domestic hot water or radiator pipes? If DHW then insulting them will reduce losses to the tap. But if CH pipes insulating is not necessary.

Some of the heat will escape through the wall, but the majority will come through the plasterboard into the room and contribute to the heating. It's normally only pipes in unheated spaces - lofts and under the ground floor - which should be insulated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back