Insulating round downlights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Just reading this with interest as we've just had a single storey extension built with a sloped tiled roof with sky light and down lighters. It was only completed in spring and I am now wondering if we will lose much heat through the ceiling. I was going to insulate around the down lights but it would appear the consensus is DON'T. A point was made that the loft would be heated whilst the lights were on but what about during the day?

Last thing........we live in a chalet and access to the eaves is via a door in my daughters room. Before she was born (9 months ago) I had a paranoid DIY insulation splurge and insulated in between the rafters of the roof as when the wind blows it chills her room and I thought she would get cold!! Now having read the above I may be at risk of trapped moisture - how much of a risk is this and should I now pull it all down??

Thanks,

Mike.

Sponsored Links
It is recommended to have firehoods over the fitting in the ceiling void, also clearance of 150mm from insulation around fitting.
Condensation can cause problems and rot your joist, so it will be needed.
I did not have the pleasure of reading the original post from where this question came, so a little in the dark to what information you are referring too in previous posts.

Hi All,

Just reading this with interest as we've just had a single storey extension built with a sloped tiled roof with sky light and down lighters. It was only completed in spring and I am now wondering if we will lose much heat through the ceiling. I was going to insulate around the down lights but it would appear the consensus is DON'T. A point was made that the loft would be heated whilst the lights were on but what about during the day?.

If it was only done recently why wasn't celotex or a similar sheet insulation fitted at the build point ?

As you know lights get hot and need air circulation and must be kept clear of insulation.

Any of these help ?

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Lighting_Menu_Index/Fire_Cover_Downlight/index.html

Last thing........we live in a chalet and access to the eaves is via a door in my daughters room. Before she was born (9 months ago) I had a paranoid DIY insulation splurge and insulated in between the rafters of the roof as when the wind blows it chills her room and I thought she would get cold!! Now having read the above I may be at risk of trapped moisture - how much of a risk is this and should I now pull it all down??

Thanks,

Mike.

Better off as a separate post in the correct forum section.

There should be air circulation via eves and ideally roof tile vents, some soffit systems have venting built in.

Those metal joist spreaders that you can insulate over - anyone got a link?

There is no way to adequately ventilate these lights when fitted in an upstairs ceiling, without breaching building regs.

Low energy lamps can be insulated over normally - they are cooler running. LEDs run cold.

Sponsored Links
It is recommended to have firehoods over the fitting in the ceiling void

Recommended by who?

Fire hood manufacturers by any chance?
Maybe they do?
But general rules regarding combustable materials and fire/smoke prevention make them a product worth considering or products like them such as the sock like hood or even firerated fittings and the manufacturers recommend them.
So I thought it was a worthwhile point to make

But general rules regarding combustable materials and fire/smoke prevention make them a product worth considering or products like them such as the sock like hood or even firerated fittings and the manufacturers recommend them.

But fire hoods do not do this and are not designed to.

If the room is on fire, they will prevent fire passing through the fitting.

They do not prevent fire. If a downlighter is wrongly installed, it will burn your house down regardless of whether a fire hood is used or not.

It is recommended to have firehoods over the fitting in the ceiling void

Recommended by who?

Fire hood manufacturers by any chance?
Maybe they do?
Will it not prevent smoke and fire spreading through it, in the ceiling void?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back