Insulating steel frame steel clad garage?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have aquired a large double garage of the above construction with my house.
- Frame is U and W shaped open pressings, with plastic coated corigated steel walls.

The main issue at the moment is ground water running through the garage which i hope to cure by laying a course of bricks around the perimeter just inside the cladding under the lower frame member (theres about 4inchs between this and the conreate slab) and then putting in a damp proof membraine and new floor.

However once done I would like to insulate to allow me to apply occational heat to take the chill off the air and tools iwhen im working in there in winter, but also to reduce noise transfer as the often the only time I get in there is evenings when any sound just goes straight through to outside, which backs onto other houses.

Its not a proiraty and I dont want to spend too much time and money on it, but more importantly dont want to overly compromise the life of the garage by trapping and retaining damp.

Thoughts so far are, damp proof membraine, followed by glass or rockwool, over laid with a second dpm and boarded. Which is proberbly the most sound absobing. Rigid closed cell board on the back of the boarding, with air gap between steel and insulation, not sure on costs here. Or have spray foam put in onto the steel, and board over, with air gap between foam and boarding.
Boarding would proberbly be exterior grade 10mm ply or simular as although PB would be more sound proof and can be bought pre-insulated there are durabilty issues both with damp and impact and it is far less easy to secure shelving to.

Daniel

Sponsored Links
knock it down and build something new
Would love to, but it can only be a temp structure, and as its actually quite new, in good nick, and huge, i cant really better it.

Whats a sheet of ply, some rockwool and a sheet of dpm. Its not going to buy me brick-build. Which as said, i cant do anyway.

Daniel

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back