Insulating the internal walls of a loft conversion

Yes fill in the gaps between the studs, an additional layer of say 25mm would be good but arguably overkill.

Regarding the storage areas, seeing as you have insulation at roof level adding more insulation at ceiling level is not strictly necessary but in effect you are heating the storage areas costing your more money in heating. Its a compromise between maximising storage space and insulation. You can use some multi foil insulation to the rear of the steels. The more the better.

Sponsored Links
The principle behind loft conversions and their insulation is that you have an insulation 'bubble' around the habitable areas and this 'bubble' is continuous and joins the wall insulation at the tops of the cavities or as close as you can get. it does not matter where the 'bubble' runs as long as it is continuous with no gaps or holes. Therefore it does not matter whether your 'bubble' follows the line of the dwarf walls and ceiling or the roof pitch as long as it is continuous. Gettit :?:

As demonstrated here

45571239632745loftconver.jpg

Yeah I get it, thanks :D

Just wondering what I need to re-do and what high tech insulation is out there to save us some storage space :cool:

Thanks,

BB

Sponsored Links
Just Google 'multi foil insulation' or pop to your local merchants to see what they've got, any reputable suppliers will indicate an 'R Value' the higher the value the better.

OK, but from the pictures would you agree that the bubble is supposed to look like the right hand side of that last picture? But it's still drafty :(

Maybe I should look into why it's still drafty? Is that 'multi foil insulation' on the roof? Should it be joined together somehow? I guess I'd then need to insulate the end walls.

Not sure which would be easiest/best. :(

Thanks,

BB

Aye you should look to seal up any gaps or joints no matter how small or insignificant they may be. If you keep your bubble on the pitched roof you need to insulate the exposed blockwork of the party walls to join up the bubble. The tiniest of gaps will allow big drafts so leave nothing unsealed.

Sorry for all the questions :(

What would I seal with? Is there some magic stuff to do it?
How should I insulate the end walls?
Should I look behind the storage area kick board to see what's happening there? :( I guess that's where the draft is coming from but above the insulation needs ventilation......

Thanks again for everyones help.

BB

So the best plan looks like taking off the kickboard at the back of the storage area and looking where the draft is coming from.

Not sure how to join/seal the foil insulation at the top of the wall though :(

Hi guys,

So I finally got round to removing the kick board at the back of the storage area and have found this:

I'd like to make the insulation bubble the roof line, but how the hell am I supposed to seal this to the top of the wall? I can't even see the top of the wall :(

Any ideas?

Thanks

BB

You just make sure your rafter insulation meets the Rockwool that can be seen poking out the floor in your pic, you can only do the best you can. If necessary just shove a bit of rockwool in the gap if there is one.

At least you don't have to worry about blocking the ventilation, that's what those ribbed plastic trays are sitting on top of the rafters.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back