Insulation between box room floor & garage ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What would be the best type of insulation to put in the void between the garage ceiling and our box room floor, before we decorate and carpet the box room floor?

Sponsored Links
fibreglass quilt as used in lofts

though personally I prefer the white loft insulation, as it does not shed irritant dust or fibres. Enough to do a bedroom floor will not cost much, so I would stuff the entire floor void with it, the 150mm thickness will be OK. You will have to take up at least some of the floor. I like to hoover out the subfloor first. If there are cables under the floor run the insulation preferably underneath them. On top is not too bad, but never both under and over them.

if there are water or CH pipes, put the insulation underneath them if you can; if not, use pipe lagging which comes in long slitted tubes of stiff plastic foam.

Sponsored Links
Building regulations would ask for 270mm of insulation though this is an unlikely thickness to achieve as floor joists are generally not deep enough to accommodate it.

Using 80mm celotex with a 100mm acoustic layer of rockwool or similar would be better.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back