insulation question - first house

Hi again,

Cost at the moment isnt that much of a problem, I just want it warm and to last. My neighbour come over and suggest Celotex 100mm on the walls which will be between the studs, this will then leave the gap from the celotex to the brickwork 'alows it to breath'. Then use foil Plaster board.

Then 2x 100mm Celotex on the ceiling and use foil backed plasterboard. Would that offer good insulation and not have problems from condensation?

Again thanks for all the options :)

Sponsored Links
If the studs are exposed front AND back, the they can act as conductors of heat. So you either need to insulate behind or in front of the studs as well as in between.

You can get plasterboard with insulation already fixed to the back, which is a quick and easy although slightly more expensive solution.

you can get insulation spikes..

the place i used to work used them but they were self adhesive ones ( ie sticky backed )..
I dare say you can get normal ones that you could fix to the bricks with construction adhesive?

failing that, a couple of long nails banged into the mortar with their heads cut off with bolt cutters would do the job..

alternatively, it might be worth looking into spray foam insulation if you're opening it all up and money isn't that much of an issue..

Sponsored Links
Hi everyone again :p

Here is my order list.

3 Knauf Loft Roll 44 (Combi Cut) Loft Insulation - 170mm x 1140mm x 7.03m
Product code: 100040168 £21.80 £65.40

2 Knauf Loft Roll 44 (Combi Cut) Loft Insulation - 200mm x 1140mm x 5.20m
Product code: 100040198 £20.76 £41.52

2 Knauf Loft Roll 44 (Combi Cut) Loft Insulation - 100mm x 1140mm x 12.18m
Product code: 100040098 £23.44 £46.88
http://www.insulationexpress.co.uk/...-Loft-Roll-44-(Combi-Cut)-Loft-Insulation.htm

15 Celotex GA4000 Insulation Board - 50mm x 1200mm x 2400mm GA4050
Product code: 285260500 £16.23 £243.45
http://www.insulationexpress.co.uk/Multi-Purpose-Slabs/Celotex-GA4000-Insulation-Board.htm

4 Venture Foil Tape 1517CW - 50mm x 50yds
Product code: 980803725 £3.82 £15.28

18 Knauf Vapourshield Plasterboard Tapered Edge - 12.5mm x 1200mm x 2400mm
Product code: 737031300 £7.14 £128.52
http://www.insulationexpress.co.uk/...uf-Vapourshield-Plasterboard-Tapered-Edge.htm

Sub Total: £541.05
Delivery: £0.00
VAT: £94.68
Total: £635.73

How does the order look??,

I will use the loft roll to insulate the walls and ceiling then add the Celotex also. Order of: Brick/Loft Roll/Celotex/Ply board/Foil backed Plasterboad

Why the ply board?

See MW's comment at the bottom of p2, loft roll doesn't come with any paper backing so will be a bugger to hang on the walls (ok for the ceiling tho') Rockwool slab gets my vote.

Don't need foil backed PB if your penultimate layer is celotex, Just completely cover the studs with the celly and tape up the joints, that 'wall of foil' becomes your vapour barrier.

Print of your shopping list and take it around local builders merchants, see if they will beat it, chances are they will and will deliver the whole caboosh for free in one hit. If they see you've already done the homework then you won't get bent over.

Before buying any insulation I always check on ebay first, to see if there's any going locally. People always buy in too much and have some left over, as it takes up space they are happy to let it go for a song. Plus there's been loads of free/subsidised insulation deals going on over the last couple of years and some folk have taken advantage of this to resell on eBay. Last year there was a bloke with about 30 rolls of loft insulation to sell for a fiver each.

Hi,

The ply board is so that I can attach a TV and screw things to the walls.

I will order the slabs now then, I now understand regards the Celotex. So I must Completely cover the studs tape the celotex together with foil tape then attach the plasterboard so i am drilling through the Celotex then into the studs.

For the celing ill use 170mm Fiber quilt then use 25mm Celotez to cover the studs then do the same as the walls, drill through the celotex into the studs to attach the plaster.

Sound good???

Oh and you just saved me about £150 with the advice not needing foil plasterboard with that method :mrgreen:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back