Insulation resistance

rossage said:
Thanks for that. Hmmm. Was looking for a quick fix for tommorow really. Don't really want to spend 27 squid just for that.... Can anyone give me a quick guide with the 1552 megger? Ohhh Pleeeeeeeeeease go on

I have this book and if you ask me it's '27 squid' welll spent. He goes through the full sequence of tests step by step (using a Megger 1552) explaining why you have to do the tests and what results you need ot look out for.

As a developing Domestic Installer i've found this book invaluable.

Sponsored Links
pdenni said:
i agree with spark123 and nozspark, what i dont get is why i was slated for saying you need test and inspect quals on a previous thread, when people were saying they have no quals and still test, as was mentioned how are the results interpreted correctly? and why these "part p courses" let u do these kind of works in limited period of time, with no experiance of how to use the equipment effectively is as nozspark says beggars belief.
The C&G2391 is meant to be for people who are already carrying out inspection, testing and certification of electrical installations, not as a starting point. Everyone who uses BS7671 to work to must inspect, test and certify installations before putting them into service. Failure to do so means the installation does not comply with BS7671 and leaves the installer in a somewhat sticky situation regarding P1 of Part P or the EAWR.

desl,

this is the point i am trying to make these courses do not give you the experiance or indeed knowledge to carry out this type of work, i know legislation was brought in to try to bring some sort of culpability for work being carried out but by giving people a "part p status" When they have no idea how to work on electrical systems effictevely and safely is scary.
Sorry for the rant but it really annoys me how there is no distinction between a cand g trained sparks and part p course bloke

in reply to nozspark

they wouldn't teach you that sort of info in the part p course as far as i was aware they teach u to pass the exam.!!!!
(explained to me by a guy i know who has done the course)

Sponsored Links
you can download the operating instructions for this tester on the Megger website. Learn how to use it at home and not on the customers premises though, its an easy tester to use, but if you can't interprate the results or understand the requirements, don't do work you are not competant to do

Then you should ask for your money back, as you will be right in it when you are on your lonesome with no phone signal..

Courses shouldn't be about passing the exam, they (especially PP wonder courses) should be about imparting the information that you need to do the work correctly!

From what you're saying they might aswell give you the exam paper at the beginning of the week and go through each question one by one

thats exactly what i think, but not having a pop, a lot of questions are raised on this forum regarding testing, regs, install techniques and cable calcs from part p course guys, which makes you think what exactly are they being taught?

rossage said:
Hi. Just doing my part P and am OK with all testing except for insulation resistance. I have the Megger 1552 multi tester, can anyone talk me through the test?
Does this help?

Hmm... Maybe I should have worded that differently. I was struggling with IR using the 1552 Megger, not the test. Thanks for all the sarcastic replies though. Well handy when you need some help! Incidentally, that part p doctor doesn't seem to be readily available, amazon quote a 4-6 week delivery time. Anyone know where else to get it?

DESL said:
he...didn't even understand what resistance was.

I understand resistance. It's that awkward moment between you handing the customer the bill, and them paying up...

rossage said:
I was struggling with IR using the 1552 Megger, not the test.
Well why not state clearly which step in the test you've reached, and what you're expecting to be able to do with the 1552 that you can't work out? If you do that then I have no doubt that someone here will set you straight.

Thanks for all the sarcastic replies though. Well handy when you need some help!
Sarcasm?! I sincerely hope you're being deliberately ironic there, and not being the utter ar*sehole that it appears.

Incidentally, that part p doctor doesn't seem to be readily available, amazon quote a 4-6 week delivery time. Anyone know where else to get it?
Post a list of places you've tried, and we'll post back of places that you haven't. And if you hold out your spoon we'll put some baby food on it.

hi all
thank you for your kind words...
we are getting a website sorted out this week and an ebay shop thingy...

please do not go via amazon as they stick money on top without our authority :evil:

i dont want to break any rules but if anyone requires the book it is a phone call away, am i allowed to put in the link for the contact details?
(the website where i work, teaching on a part-time basis)

hi
dunno why but it is mrs part p's addy.
have no fear she will forward mails to me and i shall reply to you...
does it break rules to say where i work?

partpdoctor said:
does it break rules to say where i work?
I think you know it does, but hell, you've broken them all already so what's the difference. :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back