Insulation to eaves

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The house I have just bought has had a loft conversion many years ago. When inspecting behind the plasterbard walls I realised there is absolutely NO insulation to the eaves.

I would like to fill this space with insulation but I'm not sure what is the best stuff to use. Also, I'm not too sure about any regulations if any?

Can I just fill the space with Rockwell?

Can anybody help?

Sponsored Links
dont think regs have much to do with it, its letting the roof breathe that is the problem, that is probably why there is no isulation there , to allow air flow

as breezer says you must have airflow in the loft and the practice
used to be to leave the eaves uncoverd im shure its still the same

iff using over eaves vents then I usually insulate right to the bottom but if using soffit vents i usually stop 25mm up just to make sure i am not obscuring the air flow.
Use celotex or similar not rockwool

Sponsored Links
Cheers guys. I was about to cram the space full of Rockwool.

I still feel a bit reluctant to leave the space totally un-insulated as I can imagine the room getting VERY cold in the winter.

Might not be as bad as you think, is it foil backed plasterboard?

Not sure, I'll have to check. Will this make a difference?

I have the same issue and was wondering whether it was worth feeding a layer of the foil backed bubble wrap type insulation over the ceiling between the rafters. This would preserve the 50mm air gap above the loft conversion and should help with the insulation of the rooms in the loft.

Any comments on this approach. Does it sound reasonable?

Don't know. What other insulation do you have and where exactly are you insulating ? Between bedrooms and loft-void or bedrooms and rooms in loft ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back