Insurance conditions for burst pipe in unoccupied home

You are responsible for pipes on your property.
Usually a meter is located inside, so if the burst occurs on your property but before the meter, you are still responsible for the repair.
Some water authorities may, or used to, offer a repair service, but a) it is still your responsibility and that may charge you for the repair, and b), they may take weeks to fit it into their schedule.
Meters are not usually located inside they're usually located in an external meter stop tap box so the water meter reader man can read it irrespective of someone being at home or not.

To the original poster Usually every house has an external and internal stop tap internal it's usually under the kitchen sink ...not always but usually . Have one fitted and above it have drain off. So in future turn off the water internally, open all the taps hot and cold flush the wc's and when all the water stops running using the newly installed drain off drain the last of the water off from the pipework using a hosepipe to outside.

No claim from your insurers will be paid unfortunately.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Andy - yes indeed, I am aware that the water must be shut off at the point of input to the property (which is on the external garden wall, in a meter cupboard) over the winter and/or when the property is unoccupied. I've always done this in late October in preparation for the winter months, as well as draining down the water tanks etc by leaving the taps running. This year however the supply has been turned back on (and I suspect that when the meter was read the door was not closed properly allowing someone to turn the mains back on - maybe knowing that a pipe would burst perhaps? who knows. I always take a picture of the meter reading at the end of the season and a picture to show that I closed the cupboard (I'm very wary and risk averse). apart from that I can't "prove" that I turned the supply off at the mains (most people wouldn't even take a photo lol) however I do feel that I've complied with the terms of the policy and have acted properly.

Honestly I don't care if you believe me or not your comment is not adding value to this thread. Please take yourself off to another thread.
To the other, more constructive contributors - I know I've acted according to the insurance policy and I'm really not sure what's the point in having insurance if it won't cover eventualities like this ? !

Sponsored Links
I know I've acted according to the insurance policy and I'm really not sure what's the point in having insurance if it won't cover eventualities like this ? !
Have you read the small print where it states "We never pay out if we can possibly get away with it"?

Usually a meter is located inside,

Meters are not usually located inside they're usually located in an external meter stop tap box so the water meter reader man can read it irrespective of someone being at home or not.
OK, as you are a plumber I accept your word for it.
In my experience of the last two houses, (previous to that there were no water meters) the water meter was inside. This time, the water board have fitted a radio transmitter so that the meter can be read from the footpath.
So perhaps I should have added "in my experience" meters are usually fitted inside.
But I accept your greater experience as a plumber you have encountered far more meters than I.

Anyway, I thought you were ignoring me. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Just asking - is there anyone on here who has relevant experience either as a claimant or maybe from inside the industry eg claims/loss adjustor? I know it's a big ask as this is after all a DIY forum but there's a risk of a lot of cynicism (maybe rightly so, who knows) and rather than this becoming a moaning thread, I'd be interested in factual bases - like the comments about reading the small print (which I did; I still maintain that I have acted properly). Maybe I just want to get the "right" answer :)

my insurance (holiday home) stipulates that water damage is not covered between 1 November and 31 March unless the stopcock is turned off.
I do this every year, including last October.
However someone has interfered with the stopcock (which is located on the outside (street side) wall of the property), turning it on. I have had a burst pipe.
How on earth can I "prove" (or explain) that I complied with this clause and therefore lodge a claim?

So in the policy is it written that nobody is to be using the property at all between those dates ? I'm confused.

I have holiday home cover. It states that if the property is unoccupied for 7 days or more during 1 No - 31 March then the water needs to be shut off.
(I DID this but someone turned it back on. That's my problem - I complied but now I can't prove this)

Quite a bit of water damage - electrics will need drying out, furniture replaced. Enough to invoke a claim

Just asking - is there anyone on here who has relevant experience
I experienced an underground burst pipe this winter. It was between the stopcock in the road, and my own external stopcock. But as the burst was in the pipework on my property, I was responsible for the repair.
I dug the hole to expose the burst pipe (with a bit of leeway to allow access, etc). Called the plumber (who arrived the same day, although I did try approx 10 plumbers before I found one available, and he literally stopped off between jobs.) to fix the leak, (it took less than half an hour) and I back filled the hole.
Cost £30 cash.

Would it have been worth involving the insurance?
The excess is probably more than that.

You are lucky to have had this for only £30. I wouldn't claim if the damage was up to several £00s but it looks like it will be in the £000s

Quite a bit of water damage - electrics will need drying out, furniture replaced. Enough to invoke a claim

Can you prove you visited the property, i.e. a text message to a friend or family member telling them you're going to shut the water off? Satnav saved journey?

I only ask because they are going to.

Have you asked the water company if any engineers inspected the meter around the time this happened?

Sponsored Links
Back