Insurance conditions for burst pipe in unoccupied home

Only thing would be - maybe - a message saying I was going out in October to close things done for the season. That's probably the best I'll have. Didn't have the foresight to say "I'm just going outside to close the water off at 0730 on 6 October for any future claim I may have " ! :)

Sponsored Links
Well it goes in your defence.

I would find out if the meter/stopcock were inspected by the water supplier. Phone and ask on what date the meter was read, get that information before asking further as they may turn a bit sheepish if you mention insurance/leaks, etc. Record the conversation.

no, the mains water is shut off from the outside only. And that should - in theory - be sufficient, as it stops the flow of any water into the property. When I arrived however the meter door was wide open. Not sure if left by meter reader - but someone had switched the mains back on. Result....following the cold snap.....a major burst. Ps Don't appreciate the other poster's "not sure if I believe you" comment. This is 100% truth.

Worth a follow up

You will not know what the insurance will or will not say until you make the claim.
I recently was surprised by the outcome of a different claim, for a damaged roof.
I thought the cost (of materials) would be about £1000, so I was considering doing the repair myself.
But I was advised that the old sheets may contain asbestos, and I must use a qualified contractor.

I contacted the insurance, they sent an assessor who approved the damage as having been caused by a storm, including the lifting and shifting of the support columns.

The final sum for the insurance was almost £20,000.
At each stage I expected the insurance to say that building was not covered, that roof was already too old, that damage was not covered by a storm or whatever.
The insurance were as good as gold. But I expect my premiums to go up this year.

Sponsored Links
OK, as you are a plumber I accept your word for it.
In my experience of the last two houses, (previous to that there were no water meters) the water meter was inside. This time, the water board have fitted a radio transmitter so that the meter can be read from the footpath.
So perhaps I should have added "in my experience" meters are usually fitted inside.
But I accept your greater experience as a plumber you have encountered far more meters than I.

Anyway, I thought you were ignoring me. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Can you read ? I said I've unignored everyone I also said I would no longer allow silly people to hook me in to trading insults and name calling.

GymBunnie, good evening.

First I do work in the murky world of Insurance, have done so for a long time as a second career.

All policies carry almost similarly worded "Exception clauses" such as
A/. If the property is to be left unoccupied for 30 Days or more.
Or
B/. In your case, you have informed the insurer that the property is a Holiday Home
Then.
Several "Exclusions" will kick in, the two most common are
1/. The drain down clause.
2/. Burglary, or forced entry.Etc. Etc.

Different insurers will have more "Exclusions" applying in the case of the property not being occupied on a full time basis.

In your case, I must be totally up-front here you are on the back foot [sorry about that]

How to approach the Insurer?

1/. How many years have you owned the property and how many times have you turned off the water supply?
1, A./ During that time were there any other periods of very low temperatures?
1, B./ You of course poured car Anti-Freeze into the toilet bowels to ensure they did not freeze and fracture the pan???

2/. Suggest a "Soft" call to the water Authority, asking when was last meter reading, why? because if the last reading the meter man had appeared to indicate to him that the quantity of water used was very low, he may have turned on the stop valve to ensure that there was a water flow, at that point thinking he would assist he left the valve open?? [just a consideration?]

In general terms if you can state to the Insurer that for XXX years you have complied in all respects with the insurers demands then why would you omit to comply this time around?

Now it will come down to the insurance handler or Adjuster if one calls. all you can do is to protest that you have complied in all respects with the Insurers requirements.

Ken.

Last edited:
You are responsible for pipes on your property.
Usually a meter is located inside, so if the burst occurs on your property but before the meter, you are still responsible for the repair.

Really? Do tell more.

Once upon a time there were three little bears..........
Then there is Jack and the beanstalk...............
There is mitch who is incapable of a sensible comment..........
What else do you want to know? :rolleyes:

Where were the water meters inside two of your houses?

Where were the water meters inside two of your houses?
By the internal stopcock.
Why do you want to know?

The latest had a wire to a remote reader on the outer wall, which has now been changed for a radio transmitter.
The earlier one was a fair few years ago.

All you can do is put the facts to the insurers. Don't tell fibs as if they catch you out (they probably will) then you are screwed. Unfortunately the insurance industry is looking to avoid claims to maximise profits

next time wire the cock closed so that it’s obvious. You can use garden wire or fine wire and just twist it off. if you’ve ever sailed or done motor racing this is a common technique to keep fasteners/cleats in position.

With regards to your claim. put the details to them honestly along with your suspicions noting that you have the utmost duty to act in good faith and honesty (specific to this area of law).

In my experience of the last two houses, (previous to that there were no water meters) the water meter was inside.

I've only heard of water meters being on the inside on psychiatric hospitals or occasionally sheltered housing :eek::eek::eek:

Sponsored Links
Back