Insurance grey area?

There big but not as big as the XM, in fact tiny inside by comparison. I'm picking it up tommorrow so I will let you know :D

Peter

Sponsored Links
As I understand it, if you have an untaxed, uninsured vehicle that needs an MOT, then pre-booking into an MOT station is acceptable. As you need the MOT to get TAX. But must be prebooked.

When driving a car, that is not yours, the owner, or registered keeper, MUST have FULLY comp insurance, and you also have 3rd party insurance, that gives you 3rd party insurance on their fully comp car.

To say you are the registered keeper of a car, and insured as the main driver, and your child is the nominated driver, when in fact they drive it, is illegal, and would void the insurance.

But the DVLA change and choose their rules to suit themselves, so anything goes..ie A bloke purporting to be from the DVLA approached me recently, says, I'll buy your SORN car, as we are gonna tow it (which they did with a previous car, illegally, and returned it, minus the front bumper!), so I complained to DVLA, they passed it on to their towing unit, who sent me a letter, which wasn't sealed, saying "not me guv!"..corruption or lies?

The problems come when the driver isnt the registered keeper, as I found a couple of years ago.
we bought a newish car, I couldnt get the HP, but my wife, a non-driver could, so we bought it in her name, and it was registered in her name to satisfy the HP company.
when it came to re-taxing it, the post office couldnt do it because the keepers name wasnt on the insurance, I was in therre an hour, and they even got their "car tax bible" out to show me it wasnt them being difficult, but the actual rules...

my insurance allows me to drive other cars provided they are insured under their own policy

The problems come when the driver isnt the registered keeper, as I found a couple of years ago.
we bought a newish car, I couldnt get the HP, but my wife, a non-driver could, so we bought it in her name, and it was registered in her name to satisfy the HP company.
when it came to re-taxing it, the post office couldnt do it because the keepers name wasnt on the insurance, I was in therre an hour, and they even got their "car tax bible" out to show me it wasnt them being difficult, but the actual rules...

my insurance allows me to drive other cars provided they are insured under their own policy

I've had trouble in the post office before, several times, a spelling mistake on the MOT certificate meant I had to physically go to the MOT station that issued the certificate, and get another re-issued from their records. It's a good job it was fairly local (25 miles), and not at the other end of the country. I had to do that even though I rang the DVLA fraud line up to confirm the MOT cert was good. Post office work to rule.

Ever since then I have always bought tax disk online, as their system shows everything is legit, and got the disk in time (or sorn)..best to bypass the Post office, and use online.

Sponsored Links
can someone clarify for me here..

My van died earlier this year, and due to unemplyment I couldn't afford a new vehicle, so mom and dad kindly offered me the money to buy one ( nan passed away last June and they sold her house in december so they're not hard up at the minute and as dad puts it " what you have now you won't have when we're gone" so it's early inheritance in effect.. ).
we found one I liked and arranged to pick it up the following week ( 1st of month so I didn't loose a month's tax ).
Mom and Dad paid the bloke, but I filled in the logbook..
so who actually owns it as they have the recipt for it but I'm the registered keeper and driver.

Whoever paid for it owns it unless they give it away ie to you. In which case you own it. The named keeper on the log book does not always represent the owner and does not need to. I'm pretty sure its says this somewhere on the logbook tbh. No different to if you buy a car on HP - it would have your name on the log book but the finance company own it or have an interest in it until it is fully paid off.

yep tax it online and it doesn't care who has insured it as long as it's insured (even if it's only a cancel after 14 days tesco ;) )

Whoever paid for it owns it unless they give it away ie to you. In which case you own it. The named keeper on the log book does not always represent the owner and does not need to. I'm pretty sure its says this somewhere on the logbook tbh. No different to if you buy a car on HP - it would have your name on the log book but the finance company own it or have an interest in it until it is fully paid off.

Agree. I've had loads of company cars. They aren't registered to me, or owned by me, but I use it daily. The finance company owns it, although it may be registered to the company. You have kind parents Coljack, but upset them, and it might be an Indian gift, they want it back!

Sponsored Links
Back