Insurance grey area?

I have done some research on Google but there doesn't seem to be a definative answer, there are tomes of information but most of it is from forums and insurance company reps, who of course insist that the other car must be insured - but they would, wouldn't they :D no one can quote chapter and verse.

Many say that it depends on the wording of you cirtificate/policy, instances were quoted of drivers that had been stopped but had been allowed to go on their way after producing their own insurance certificate. I read of two instances where the cars had ben seized but they were both actually fully insured but the data base had not been updated.

Nowhere did I find an experience of someone who had actually been prosecuted for driving an uninsured car on their own insurance. The only suggestion I can make is, if you do it, make sure you have your insurance certificate with you.

I am picking up a car in Birmingham on monday, I do have insurance arranged for it but I can't tax it because I shant have the documents until I collect it, which will be after 6.00 pm and the post offices are closed then - watch this space. :confused:

Peter

Sponsored Links
I am picking up a car in Birmingham on monday, I do have insurance arranged for it but I can't tax it because I shant have the documents until I collect it, which will be after 6.00 pm and the post offices are closed then - watch this space. :confused:

Peter

then you are breaking the law driving it, the only way to drive with no tax is to be on the way to a prebooked mot, be on the way back from mot, on the way to have mot work done, be on the way back from mot work, or have trade plates

John - thoughts in your water are right - lol

You really do live life on the edge - lol

Your buying skills seem to be as imppresive - as is your knowledge with cars - only two lunches - you might want to apply for next year to be Lord Alans apprentice? :D

Are you already in process of putting car into your nieces name - does she know it's coming to her? Because obviously you intend to make it roadworthy for her, rather than doing it through you then her?

TonyV

Hi Tony
The niece indeed knows that the car is coming her way and I guess it'll take me a couple of weeks to sort the thing fully - I thought it would be fairly straight forward for me to MOT the thing, and then get her to tax and insure it in her name. This would allow me to drive it down to Doncaster for delivery.
This will be a freebie - she's putting most of her salary aside to try and get onto the housing ladder, and I don't envy that!

Cheers John :)

Thanks for everyones interest and comments on this one - all appreciated!
I'm wondering if said niece can insure this vehicle now - in its current million bits state - and this would sort things for me?
John :)

PS I'm wondering if I'm doing the correct thing really - the AX has no corrosion at all, but they are so lightly built it seems to be made of Baco-foil.....I would hate to crash in one :eek:

Sponsored Links
Hi John
Yes - Think You are doing right thing - Saxo when MOTed should be fine - You have V5 for it? If so you can send it to niece filled in - just for her to sign and send to DVLA - and then she can insure as close to date as when you get it ready - then you can drive on your insurance - will be ok even if sorned - providing you taking it to a booked MOT.

But I guess you already new that - all the best

TonyV

Peter

Anyone can tax a vehicle - I think even without documents these days - if Road Tax is payable - I'm sure they will accept payment - maybe even online.
DVLA just cross link data bases for MOT and Isurance

TonyV

I've looked into this Tony on the DVLC website and you can only tax it at a post office with the new keeper suppliment and I don't get that until we have filled the in change of keeper info when I get there on Monday, so presumably I am supposed to stay in a hotel overnight and wait until the post office opens :mad:

Peter

Peter - ok - I stand corrected - just thought you could tax without documents - but perhaps that's for continuation of tax.

TonyV

you can tax online as long as you have access to the address the v5 is in, as it will be sent there

Unfortunately the registered keeper lives in Birmingham and I live in Dorset, by the time he has recieved the disc and mailed it to me probably a week will have elapsed with no disc displayed, I can tax it in Axminster on Tuesday morning. I am far more likely to get caught without a tax disc displayed for a week than driving it home and taxing it the next day - well that's my theory anyway. I wouldn't think the police would be so unreasonable as to prosecute when I have all the paperwork with me - but you never know. I have never had an endorsement in 55 years of driving, I don't really want to start now.

Peter

My last seven have been, but this time its a BMW diesel estate - but don't tell them on the XM club :D

One of the XMs is currently on sale on ebay - but I'm not giving up on them, Im keeping the estate

Peter

The Beemer estate is a mighty fine vehicle - especially with the in line six cylinder engine.......loads of performance and amazing fuel consumption too.
I hope its a good one you find! In the snow though, use the bus - being so light on the back end means that they hardly move at all.....

This one is a 525 TDS, IDI engine, not quite so economical or powerful but much cheaper to repair :D Sadly it doesn't have the low down torque of the XM, that will pull from tickover, but it doesn't half go when the revs come up.

Peter

I think you'll enjoy the 525 - you may get the odd helicopter trying to land on the bonnet though, its so vast :D
I've driven 2 Beemers to France - one was a 325 estate which gave 57 mpg, and the other was an M3 (52 plate) that gave 15 mpg....it nearly blew my wig off it was so fast :eek: Trouble was, by the time I'd reached La Rochelle I was skint :p
Hope your new car is a good one :D

Sponsored Links
Back