INSURANCE

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi

just wondered if anyone could advise me on which cars are cheap on insurance? im looking for a car for my fella. i was going to get him insured on my car but its over £1000.

thanks

lauren

Sponsored Links
Generally, the smaller, the cheaper. Also depends on age (fellas and the car :D ). It's worth shopping around. I went to renew mine with existing insurance company and they quoted £589. Went to Tesco and was quoted £330!. Elephant are also supposed to be good. Both will quote online.

Also helps to go for something not associated with "boy racers".

The insurance industry work out the cost of the policy by deciding how much of a risk your fella offers. I assume he has no NCB, which means that he is an unknown quantity. So that is against him to start with.

They discriminate on age and sex (although new European laws will ban the sex discrimination, and about time too - could you imagine an analogue of Diamond: "We don't insure people of one particular ethnic group as they are all rubbish drivers". Hmmmm).

They also look at where the car is likely to be parked, i.e. the home postcode. If there have been lots of car-torchings there then there will be an increased risk, hence greater premium. And what you do for a living (footballers get absolutely botty-burgled.).

Anyway, that is getting from the point.

New Astra 1.6, me at 21, with no previous insurance, no points. It cost me about £900 a year fully comp. With 2 years NCB it is now down to £445 and I shop around every year.

Something that you would imagine your mum driving is generally a good start. Something that you could imagine doing burnouts outside the cinema is a bad start!

Even worse is a 'modified' (from standard) car ..... be very careful here !!
We tend to think of 'modified' as signifying a tuned, more powerful car .. can be far more mundane than this .. I do not know if 'modified' is detailed ... or just defined as being different from standard.
The old Ins company will look closely for a legitimate 'get out' in the event of a large claim !

I think statistically women are seen as safer .... Ins companies surely have to use real stats to survive in a competitive environment, so I expect Ins companies may court ladies' business in another, EU legal manner.

P

Sponsored Links
I bought a car where the alloy wheels were optional with my trim level. Does that make my car non-standard, as I have the optional factory-fit (not dealer fit) wheels? I have it insured as standard, as it is the same as when it left the factory.

In France they have become quite apt at tuning cars without it being visible on an inspection. It is illegal to modify your car engine over there, so if you are stopped by the police and have big silicone hoses and nitrous injectors in your engine you will get charged. So, they do subtle things that get a bit more power without being too conspicuous. You would only find the mods if you stripped the engine right down and got an expert to measure the bore, and checked the chip was standard.

Obviously if you stacked it going 180mph in a 1 litre fiesta they will know something's up ;)

I am not a lawyer looking for a 'get out' on a major claim, I would have thought that 'Manf approved' non-standard equipment would be deemed ok, but would not be too sure about which equipment may attract a higher premium, however slight, hence be deemed higher risk.
--------------------o0o--------------------------
An example.
Rac Insurance
http://www.rac.co.uk/insurance/vehicle/car/benefits_terms/terms_conditions
Quote 'Your car must not have been modified from the manufacturer’s original specification, customised or fitted with diplomatic or Q plates.'
--------------------o0o--------------------------
My own insurance has a note that the car has a matching alloy spare wheel, this is not part of the standard spec, usually 4 alloys + standard steel spare .... I specified the alloy spare as part of the deal.

I am really posing a question has anyone fallen foul of such technicalities ?

P

Another way to keep your insurance cost down...

A one day course with BSM (I think it called Driving Plus & cost approx £160 ) on motorway and if you pass the tests your insurance will give you a 30-40% discount.

I find it strange when you pass the driving test and never been on a motorway before.

In Norway, they have 4 driving tests !
1, Driving on a dry day
2, Driving on a wet day
3, Driving on a motorway
4, Driving at night

Ig - :LOL:

mason - check with your insurer that they recognise DP, not all do by any means.

Generally I found keeping my premium down easy if sticking to Gp One cars (mind you, that was in the days when there were only 6 groups.....)

I inherited by Grandfather's Alfasud (Belting motor, well ahead of it's day when you consider it was released in 1971...) in 1985, and got insured thro' grandad's insurance co "as a favour" - in the days when customers' loyalty was rewarded.

1986 saw me selling the car as the AA was the cheapest quote for me (having had one claim in the past year) at.....wait for it.....

£2.5K!!

So I leapt into a 1.0litre Metro Mayfair which was a real hoot to drive (like a skateboard!) and only Group One, while still having a few nice bits of kit.

Sponsored Links
Back