Insuring against domestic water problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'd appreciate opinions on a general question about insuring against domestic water problems...

My elderly Mother-In-Law currently seems to have insurance for absolutely everything. She receives an alarmist flyer telling her the world will end if her tap leaks and bingo - she purchases another insurance product. Unethical marketing, isn' it?

I'm starting to rationalize her numerous insurances and it would be helpful to get an idea of repair costs for some common water type problems. I understand costs vary but assume a reasonable fee from a reputable independant plumber (in North East Kent, if that matters).

Excl VAT
1 Replace washer in leaking tap
2 Replace ceramic cartridge in leaking 1/4 turn tap
3 Replace leaking (overflow) valve in loft cold water tank
4 Repair pin hole leak in section of accessible mains cold water copper pipe.
5 Replace mains inlet stopcock.
6 Replace syphon in close coupled cistern.

Other thoughts on insurance products would also be appreciated.

Thanks in anticipation.

Sponsored Links
You should get one policy that covers every plumbing problem, from taps to boiler repairs.
Some might think by reading your post that you were someone setting up that was unsure about trade rates for various tasks?
Try searching the forum first because I dont think you will get a list of prices!

Few plumbers would want to get involved in changing cartridges.

But how come you know about ceramic cartridges if you are not involved in plumbing yourself?

Jobs like replacing stopcocks depend on being able to turn off water co. outside!

My elderly Mother-In-Law currently seems to have insurance for absolutely everything. She receives an alarmist flyer telling her the world will end if her tap leaks and bingo - she purchases another insurance product. Unethical marketing, isn't it?
Not really unethical. They are just plugging the gaps left by general household insurance policies.

Just one example: My son noticed a damp patch on his living room ceiling. A quick examination upstairs and he found that there was damp on the floor around the HW cylinder in the airing cupboard. Time for a new cylinder. :(

A quick check of his house insurance policy and he thought the replacement would be covered under the "Equipment breakdown section". He phoned the Insurance co to check and was told: No, it's not covered. as the leak is caused by deterioration or corrosion.

But they would cover the cost of any redecoration caused by the damp!

Sponsored Links
I'd appreciate opinions on a general question about insuring against domestic water problems...

My elderly Mother-In-Law currently seems to have insurance for absolutely everything. She receives an alarmist flyer telling her the world will end if her tap leaks and bingo - she purchases another insurance product. Unethical marketing, isn' it?

I'm starting to rationalize her numerous insurances and it would be helpful to get an idea of repair costs for some common water type problems. I understand costs vary but assume a reasonable fee from a reputable independant plumber (in North East Kent, if that matters).

Excl VAT
1 Replace washer in leaking tap
2 Replace ceramic cartridge in leaking 1/4 turn tap
3 Replace leaking (overflow) valve in loft cold water tank
4 Repair pin hole leak in section of accessible mains cold water copper pipe.
5 Replace mains inlet stopcock.
6 Replace syphon in close coupled cistern.

Other thoughts on insurance products would also be appreciated.

Thanks in anticipation.
Prices based on my local area a few miles, water being able to be shut off and good acccessibility / play

1. £38 as long as issolation valve that works and shuts off
2. £38 - £65 as long as issolation valve that works and shuts off plus the cost of revivers (as long as they fit), i don't replace cartridges
3. don't know what your asking for here, but overflow repairs shouldn't take more than half hour in general so £38.00 but allow upto 65
4. As long as stopcock / gatevalve works probably allow an hour £65
5. As long as external works correctly and there is accessability to pipework to allow a new one to be fitted, if you need to cut out and replace to make fit a lot more than this but average £65.00
6. This is the only one i can't price on average they take an hour so £65 + £15 for 3 part syphon and standard CCK but i have had some that have taken HOURS so this one could be expensive

These are my prices South East Kent

But how come you know about ceramic cartridges if you are not involved in plumbing yourself?

Some might think by reading your post that you were someone setting up that was unsure about trade rates for various tasks?

No, just an old school DIY'er who lives too far away from the M-I-L to be on-hand for lifes little problems.

You should get one policy that covers every plumbing problem, from taps to boiler repairs.

Yes, looking into it.

The reason I requested some repair job prices is because the insurances seem to be costing her silly money. Calling in a local plumber once a year to fix such problems would probably be cheaper - and let's face it, you'd have to be pretty unlucky (or have crap plumbing) to have annual plumbing breakdowns.

She belongs to various local groups and has made good contacts so getting a decent (recommended) plumber, and any other tradesperson for that matter, would be easy for her.

Thanks all for your input, esp Stingray13.

Sting 13 gave eamples of what HE would charge and they are all reasonable and in line with what I would expect to charge ( except for the CC cistern which on average take 2-3 hours in my experience ).

What those prices DONT include is the rip off factor. many plumbers faced with a smiling old dear realise they can double their prices and she will still be pleased to have it sorted!

Thats far more prevalent with small jobs than is realised. Replace a local loft ball valve. I used to charge £48 but realised most others are charging at least £65. The ripoff ones charge £98 !

Tony

I would give the insurance a push.
If you want it fixing quick a local plumber is your best bet.
Insurance and it can takes weeks to get a little thing fixed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back