Integral Garage Access from Bedroom

Sponsored Links
a room is still an inner room regardless of the number of exits if you must pass through another room.
The proposed set-up is not acceptable.
Simple solution is to stick a window in the back.

Thank you all for your replies.

The red line depicts the periphery of my plot - there are no options for access for these two elevations (private land / someone’s back yard).

I like the idea of a fire detection / sprinkler system which can only be a good thing.

I’ll contact BC to ask their opinion.

You can only take one route at a time, no matter how many options
Yes if one is burning then you still have one route that's not burning.
a room is still an inner room regardless of the number of exits if you must pass through another room.
The proposed set-up is not acceptable.
Simple solution is to stick a window in the back.
Logically it is, but Not according to the approved documents definition, and the reason an inner room is so defined because of the risk of a fire in that other room, you need to be able to jump out the window. But you can just use the other door in that case, unless you're meaning that a fire in one room would make a fire in the other room more likely to be impassable. High risk is in terms of tiny percentages.

Sponsored Links
using the "lightening never strikes twice" theory isn't acceptable, you have to account for the fact that there is risk in either/both connecting room/s. I would say that having a fire in one room in the house, greatly increase the risk of their being one in another.
I suppose it's down to interpretation as to whether the BR requirement has been satisfied, but I know someone who was in an almost identical situation and it was deemed unacceptable without a window.
Lack of access to your own land isn't an issue

Agreed it's probably down to building control and how they feel. I was just going by the fact that for a loft conversion you can have a protected route to exit or a protected route to two different unprotected routes to final exits.
But you're right it's a bit between the lines here.

At a pinch, fire suppression systems are pretty cheap nowadays - but agree whichever method with your BCO first.

Problem with exiting through the garage is that it can't be guaranteed that the door(s) will be unlocked at all times.

OK I’ve been in touch my my local BCO. They said the only problem would be the garage door for the alternative escape route due to ‘the garage doors are not suitable to be opened from the inside’.

I found that odd given all of the garage doors I have encountered are able to be opened / locked / unlocked from the inside and without a key which most locking windows would require. So I have asked for clarity on that due to the fact I would be installing a garage door that could be opened / locked / unlocked from inside without a key.

I asked if a wicket door would be acceptable to which they said yes - again so long as it can be opened from the inside. Yes also to a fire detection / sprinkler system.

Last edited:
FWIW, I would be tempted to use a mist system rather than a sprinkler system - but again only with the agreement of the BCO.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back