Interior doorframe warping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Quite a worrying twisting and expanding (bowing inwards) on one side of an interior doorframe. It is first floor, adjoined to a non-supporting stud wall corner. Has been creaking and door is not fitting, and harder to close due to the curvature in the frame.
Heating pipes for radiator run parallel 8-10 inches from the frame.
I haven't seen any evidence of damp, but I'm getting worried!
Any suggestions, which don't involve a craftsman? (I just don't have the cash :cry: )

Sponsored Links
Without knowing more it's a bit hard to answer. How old is the property? any other signs or problems? etc etc.

However, if we asume all else is fine, house is a few years old, settled a bit. Then all you need to do is put a couple of 3" x 10 screws into the frame (drill a little pilot hole first) and fix the bowed section back to studwork. It's not that an uncommon problem.

Woody

Cheers ukwoody! Property about 14yrs, all square and sound. I'll try what you've suggested, although I'm not sure what I can fix into. Hard to remotely diagnose though, so I appreciate your comments. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back