If the wall with cracks in it is supported by the upper rsj, then there shouldn't be a problem, and the cracking could be down to settlement after the job was done. So what is the other wall sitting on. I assume it's supported across the joists, but if there are more joists that are short of the support beam, then this could be where the other problem lies. Of course, the door may not have been fitted properly, and just needs rehanging, but I suspect you'll still need the get the floor lifted, the gaps wedged, and check for any other movement.

Sponsored Links
Thanks again for your help Doggit.

I think it's the other way around, the wall where the door is stiff is supported by the upper RSJ and the wall with the cracks is supported by the joists (although it's difficult for me to confirm this without lifting more floorboards up).

The nails on the joist that has moved away from the beam appear bent / buckled. Does this tell us anymore than we already know?

Only I that it pretty much confirms that the joists having been cut short, are dropping, hence the crack in the wall as it drops. But I'm not sure what's causing the other door to be stiff.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back