Interior studded wall replacement, beams for blocks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, first post here after reading for a few years, im currently building an enclosure for a wood burning stove, the house is timber framed and the existing wall (internal) is the usual 4x2 beam with plasterboard covering, im planning on replacing as much of the wall as needed with concrete or thermalite blocks, main reason being the blockwork will absorb the heat from the stove and keep releasing it for hours after the stove has burned out, other reasons, id much rather have all my walls built from solid blocks, not to mention fire and wood not mixing very well!
The stove will be installed by a Hetas registered fitter, I will be doing all the building work with help from my bricklaying mate.
1st question, there is not much info out there for replacing studding for blockwork, anything I should be looking out for? I will be blocking up to the upstairs floor joists as per the existing timbers are
2nd question, what blocks should I be using with regards to the heat that will be blasting out on them, I have a load of concrete blocks left over from an extension on the house, I was considering building around the fire with concrete and above the fire with thermalite, make sense?

I look forward to hearing your advise & opinions :D

Pic below

20130906_211222_zps80a740c2.jpg

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back