Intermediate switch

No other reason, no. Why make it hard for yourself if it's a struggle getting the switches you want?
That's fair enough. I just wondered whether there was some reason in relation to wiring etc. that I was missing.

I do have a few instances of intermediates and 2-ways on one plate (and at least one with two intermediates) in my house, but all use grid switches.

Kind REgards, John

Sponsored Links
What I mean is have all three (or more) switches where you want them, but make one of the 2 way switches go on a 2 gang switch plate, and make the actual intermediate (or intermediates) go a 1 gang switch somewhere where other switches are not required.
What sort of switches are at all the other positions for the external lights? Are any of them single gang? If so, make that one(/those ones if there are more than 3 switches) the intermediate(s).

Well yes, but....

What sort of switches are at all the other positions for the external lights? Are any of them single gang? If so, make that one(/those ones if there are more than 3 switches) the intermediate(s).

a single storey extension, the layout is this:
From left to right .
1. Main door, two gang switch, lobby light and outside lights.
2. Porch door, two gang. Porch light and outside lights. Intermediate switch for outside lights.
3. French doors, single gang switch, outside lights.

My reading of the wiring diagram is that the intermediate switch has two lengths of three core one each from the other two switches.
To change the intermediate switch from the porch to the French doors requires another length of three core from the main door to the French doors and another length of three core from the porch door to the French doors.
The ceiling is boarded so tricky to install two extra lengths of cable.
Walls are not boarded.

I could fit two single gang switches to the porch, side by side, or use a grid switch?
I could use another make for the face plates, I thought Hager are good.

Sponsored Links
Apologies for assuming that you would do the design before the construction.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back