intermittant burner lockout on trianco eurostar combi

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
trianco eurostar combi with reillo G5 burner. balanced flue. There is a built in twin channel time clock.

The boiler runs fine sometimes, but it locks out other times. To get it to refire from lockout you can turn time clock from off to auto to run a few times and then it lights.

When it locks out there is power to the burner, but the fan & motor never start. So it never commences the 12 second purge period. The boiler pump is running.

My initial theory was that it was the control box, but when replacing we still get the same intermittant lockout.

The high limit stat has been tested and seems fine. Could something else other than the burner be causing the lockout.

i would appreciate any advice

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your advice,

could these cause an intermittant fault?

Do you recommend changing capacitor first for cost reasons?

Sponsored Links
To be fair the OP is in Cumbria - a bit far for DC to go and fit a £20 capacitor!! :LOL:

By the way Good call DC ;)

terrywookfit - thanks for your input it has been very helpful. Shall i give you the address and you can pop round and sort it.

terrywookfit - thanks for your input it has been very helpful. Shall i give you the address and you can pop round and sort it.

I would gladly sort it if they would pay my travelling time! :LOL:

Pass it to someone local.

jokes aside, i spoke to trianco technical today and they said that the capacitor or motor would be unlikley to cause such an intermittant fault. I am getting conflicting opinions. The capacitor seems a sensible option to me, and i have ordered one.

Is there a resistance i can check to confirm the old capacitor is at fault?

Terrywookfit - i can pass it to someone else - this would be the easy option. I have used this site to help expand my own knowledge, and get advice from those more experienced than myself. If i fix this fault i will know excactly what to do when a similar situation occurs. Was there ever a time when you did not know everything about oil boilers? Or even a time when you knew half what you know now. Probably not judging from your posts.

If everybody responded to posts like you - you would be the only one using the forum. Thanks again for your input.

Trianco clearly don't know what they are talking about!!! :confused:

The Capacitor is the most common cause of a Riello R40 G5 lockout

The capacitor is rated at 4 microfarad, if you have a multimeter with farad scale, you can check the existing

I had a Camray 2 with the same burner with exactly the same fault this week, cap measured at only 1.48 microfarad, so fitted new -so far no more lockouts!

another possibility is a tight spot on the motor/oil pump - but my cash is on the cap! ;)

Thanks boilerman 2,

the reason i joined this site was to learn and get views from experienced engineers like yourself and DC.

I will change Cap early next week and update you both on progress. That's aslong as terrywookfit doesn't get there first.

Hi All,

checked capacitor with multimeter only reading 2.5 microfarad. Changed cap and everything working fine so far.

Thanks boilerman 2 and DC for your advice

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back