Internal brick walls growing thick white furr, WHY???

What if a 4" channel was cut out along the outside edge then inject a new dpc lower than the internal floor level and filled with pee shingle, also fit guttering.

Surly this will help.

Sponsored Links
I went away and forgot to check, i did a little search but couldn't find the post so started again.

Sorry for been repetitive.

I went away and forgot to check, i did a little search but couldn't find the post so started again.

ah that explains it, i thought i recognised the photos. If you need to find something you posted you can look in your profile and see a history of what youve posted

Sponsored Links

ah that explains it, i thought i recognised the photos. If you need to find something you posted you can look in your profile and see a history of what youve posted

Just been reading some of the comments on the other post.

May i add, the building already stood, and is at least 12 years old.

We dry lined the internal walls (ontop of the origonal brick walls)
re-wired, decorated, new wood floor and new doors.

That is all.

The brickwork has probably always had salt bleeding every winter, as it was the gardeners tea room/lawn mover room it was probably never noticed.

Now that it is a warm cossy room this problem has risen its head!!!

Can I use copy and paste?

Thanks for all your advice guy,s.

Now to brake the news to the customer and decide what to do from here.

I'm woundering whether it never furred up before as the temerature would of been the same inside and out.
Now the room is heated it's drying and drawing the moisture out of the bricks which is bringing the salt to the surface.

I think you are dead right about the cause - unfortunately :cry:

I have just remembered that there is no guttering, perhaps having some fitted would help.
it might help a bit - but probably not that much :cry: Maybe waterproof render over the wall..or even a waterproofing system . Are you in E.Sussex.

Hi

Get a pinch of the white furry stuff and roll it between your thumb and finger - if it furs up into a ball, then its most likely 'dry rot' fungus if on the other hand its crytaline and falls apart then its salt crystals which are quite harmless - possibly changed something - the moisture is becoming trapped below dpc level which is causing the brickwork to become saturated and from time to time is reacting with the salts crystals in the mortar.

If its salt crystals then that is the least of your worries! Dry rot another whole new ball game to add to the problems that you already know about.

Regards

It's definatly salt crystals. If you touch it it just falls apart. In fact it falls off and blows round the room when the door is open.

Yes it's in east Sussex. The job is at a town called handscross

On the A23 ? .. It`s just there is a co. in Eastbourne called Cavity Tech that do the waterproofing etc. and seem to be an OK outfit - in my experience. If that`s any help ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back