Internal Cracking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A house I am looking to buy has the following cracks (see pictures) one is to the side of a lintel and the other vertical crack is just to the left of the window. They are at top of the stair case and above is a further stair case to a converted loft (approx 30 years old). I have had look outside and can see now evidence of cracking in the external brickwork. To save time and costs I was wondering if these are to be worried about? In which case I will go straight to a structural survey rather than a homebuyers and then a structural. The house is a 1960's semi-detached. My first thought is that the stair case is effectively pulling some of the wall which is causing the cracking.

Attachments

• crack 1.jpg
    crack 1.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 268
  • crack 2.jpg
    crack 2.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 252
Sponsored Links
It’s not caused by the stairs. The bit above the window is just a typical weak spot for the crack to appear if there’s been a bit of movement over time. The fact that the outside looks ok probably means it’s nothing to worry about.

If you need to know about the cracks you'll need a structural survey - and that won't cover anything else that a building survey will cover.

So it's two surveys, and it don't matter which is done first.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the prompt responses! It doesn't look too sinister then? It is the only thing niggling about the property but I'm sure the surveys will pick it up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back