internal door repair

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Solid timber internal panel door (about 15yr old) has a small split running across the centre of the hinge attachment point. Screws obviously do not now stay where intended so its either repair or replace. Any ideas on repair methods that are likely to be permanent as I don't want it coming down on my 2yr old (cause of damage - don't ask).

At the moment all I can think of is glue and clamp.

Shot of damage here -
door.JPG

Sponsored Links
heeeelllooo rjibbotson and welcome :D :D :D :D

assuming its a solid door

lay the door on the floor hinge edge facing up gently tap in a wood chisel to open the split without spreading it by further delamination

fill with glue remove chisel re-insert chisel then remove to pump glue in clamp up tight

find out what screws fit flush in the hinges if its no7s your restricted to around 1.5" so pilot drill out the first 0.75" with a 3mm drill in each hole

if its a no8s then drill out the first 1" with a 4mm drill and use no 8 by2 1/4" screws

if its a hollow panel door you will only have around 25 to 35mm to work with so glue and hope is your only choice just make sure all the screw is fully threaded

big-all : Many thanks for that :D - I had wondered how to get the glue in sufficiently deeply. Will give it a try this weekend.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back