Internal PIR experiences?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Indoor PIR's

Just wondering if anyone here has had expereience of using these. I've found a few different models (flush ceiling mounted type). A couple which are around £20 - £30 and some which are more like £50-£60.

If anyone has used any I've just got a few questions:

Would I see much difference in cheaper / expensive models, just wondered if anyone had had experience of installing or using both?

Is there much of a delay between it picking up movement and switching the light on? I was in a hotel recently where they had them in a corridor with no switch to activate the lightsand we seemed to have to stand in darkness for a few moments before it kicked in.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Normal PIRs are not much good in a long corridor as they are not good at detecting the motion of a warm object moving directly towards or away from them. They are best at detecting movement across their field of view.

Microwave sensors ( in effect a radar scanner ) are better at detecting motion directly towards them.

Installed some about a year ago for a customer who lives in a town house.

He is very pleased with them. I installed surface mounted variety and to be honest you wouldn't notice them, thou there are the dome variety.

Only any good if they can cover the entire area of movement, took a while to set up but they are great.

I got mid price ones about £25. No use in beds, baths, or living rooms. Kitchen is a possibility, make sure you install so you can overide them

Thanks for your replies!

The plan is to install them in the hallway, one at the top of the stairs and one at the bottom, it's a very small narrow hall so I shouldn't have any issues with it picking up movement.

Sponsored Links
The plan is to install them in the hallway, one at the top of the stairs and one at the bottom,
What's wrong with having one of these on the wall at the top of the stairs, and one at the bottom?

MKK4872.JPG

it's a very small narrow hall so I shouldn't have any issues with it picking up movement.
So day or night, light or dark, the lights will come on whether needed or not, and will stay on after the passer-by has passed by.

What type of lamps are you going to use?

What will you do when the PIRs break, and you are in darkness all of the time?

Except that regular mechanical switches are several orders of magnitude more reliable, they are cheaper, easier to replace than a PIR installed in the ceiling and easy to bypass with a bit of choc for a few days if need be.

Except that regular mechanical switches are several orders of magnitude more reliable, they are cheaper, easier to replace than a PIR installed in the ceiling and easy to bypass with a bit of choc for a few days if need be.

I believe the O/P knows what he wants .................

I don't need one, thanks.

And I'm not guessing that he hasn't, I'm saying it's possible that he hasn't - please try and read properly.

I don't need one, thanks.

And I'm not guessing that he hasn't, I'm saying it's possible that he hasn't - please try and read properly.

your now saying that it`s possible, it`s also possible the O/P is an elephant ................. please stop patronising the posters.

Have had a cheap (£25ish) hemispherical type in hall ceiling for 3 years now. Works well. Controls a number of LED downlighters. Whole system is very reliable. It's useful for us all, but especially for guests going to the bathroom. It does take a while to set up so as to avoid spurious switch-ons due to movement at the end of the hall which is open. Would certainly do it again.

your now saying that it`s possible,
No - that was the second time I had said it was possible. Please make more effort to read properly.

it`s also possible the O/P is an elephant .................
No it is not, but if you are either barking mad or completely ignorant of what an elephant is then maybe you could believe that to be a possibility.

please stop patronising the posters.
I'm not.

I asked a few civil and relevant questions because of the possibility that the OP had not considered them. If everybody here always makes the assumption that people asking questions have always considered every aspect and implication of what they want to do, and never checks, then I can guarantee you that they won't always provide effective advice.

Do you really believe that everybody who comes here for advice has already thought about everything related to what they want to do?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back