Internal wall insulation regs

Sponsored Links
But I've also seen comments that there is no benefit in insulating the inside (internal leaf) of external walls.
There is definitely a benefit to this.

There are pros and cons to internal vs external, but internal certainly will keep more heat in vs none at all

Even if thin bit of internal insulation can stop condensation forming on the walls, and the black mould that follows, so worth it for that alone.
But 50mm kingspan (or similar) makes a massive difference. When I moved into my bungalow we had the heating on 24/7 in winter, now we just have it on first thing in the morning then again in the evening, off at night when we're in bad. Saved loads on heating bills, and no damp and mould all over the walls, and the house feels so much nicer too.

as for foam option, from Kingspan website:

"Low expanding PU foam can also be applied to the plaster or the back of the insulated plasterboard, beads of adhesive should be applied around the perimeter of the board and down the centre of the board, some brands may require an additional bead of adhesive. Always check manufacturers guidelines."
https://www.kingspan.com/gb/en-gb/p...ou-fix-insulated-plasterboard-to-existing-pla

Before putting my faith in the foam I did a test with some off cuts, and I could not pull them apart. There's some YT videos showing how much weight foam can hold in place too.
(although I would not recommend this as a way to make a floating seat!)

I think this is the video that sold me

and Everbuild's own video - they even stick it to a stud wall, which does seem a bit pointless. Even I would use screws for that!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
have they got a truly fire-safe board yet?

I was hoping to see more Foamglas.

Probably not. My attitude is that if the boards get hot enough to burn between a brickwall and skimmed plasterboard, the house is probably already on fire. Sandwiching it between plasterboard and brick is not the same is putting it in an external cladding with fast flowing air cavity. Maybe this is a reason not to go the batten method?

My whole house is made of wood, well, the floors ceiling and roof, so if a fire gets out of control it will work its way up before the walls start melting.

Upgrading insulation in floors and walls and roofs is notifiable.

Odd thing is though I just asked for a price and the building control didn’t seem interested in the floor or loft insulation.

just gave me a price for exterior insulation.

only part of floor they was interested in was upgrading the floor joists to accommodate the insulation, but despite being notifiable they didn’t price for the floor insulation.

Odd thing is though I just asked for a price and the building control didn’t seem interested in the floor or loft insulation.
B Regs is not required for the installation of insulation in an open type roof void, it only applies to flat roofs, vaulted type ceilings etc.

Hi all

Thanks for the replies:

Firstly how is internal insulation not going to make a difference? I’m presuming that’s wrong information.

I’ve got the 50mm dry lined plaster backed stuff. It’s got 2 layers of foil backed paper.

I insulated one partition wall as to get better sound insulation. While putting dry rods in underneath.

next door is end terrace, and they tend to use the rooms on the unoccupied side. So the partition wall is often unheated the other side. And it’s a big wall from ground to landing ceiling. Solid and cold.
And again for the cove above the stairs. It’s very damp and I’m presuming the roof edging needs redoing outside. And part of the cove is sloped ceiling so I’m presuming there’s no insulation between the plaster and the tile beams. As it’s a 200 year old house.

hope that explains it better.

Ive been taking pictures and marking what’s been done, yes.

it’s hard to understand the next step. I hear the ‘b regs’. I want the thermal grading to be marked and it to be registered legitimately. (Just want to do it myself and save money as I am broke).

So are we in agreement that I take pictures and then contacty local council? Or contact who please?

Updating on this I googled the EPC certificate and got some contacts. I’ll contact them and send them the product receipts and pictures

thanks again all!

There has been some confusion I think from your post title. I thought you were talking about insulating internal walls, where you're actually, I now think, talking about putting internal insulation on external walls.
My experience is that after my diy insulating eg; loft and underfloor, the EPC inspector wanted to physically see the insulation, but had no interest in paperwork. Looking again at the EPC, the insulation on the inside of the external walls (lime hemp) is not included, but I think that's because (a) it only covered a relatively small area of the external walls, and (b) it wasn't physically possible to inspect it.

Could you call it soundproofing and avoid all the thermal malarkey?

You would only need B Regs for insulating the external walls (thermal elements), ignore any advice to the contrary it is incorrect

Scene - Me and BCO standing in my front room at beginning of refurb.

Me:- "I'm going to be stripping the rotten plaster off all the external walls and putting up insulating plasterboard - do you want an application?"
LA BCO "As far as I am concerned plaster is just decoration. If you're not changing the structure, just do it - anything you do will be better than it was"

Not saying that is correct, or will always be the situation, but that is my personal experience.

Unfortunately the legislation says otherwise.

Not unfortunately for me - I wasn't trying to avoid, and in fact had several items of work under an application at the time. I could only go with what I was told.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back